cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Keyonkk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can login successfully,  but needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

Before immigration, login dropbox never needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

After immigration, it needs me to check 6-digit code in email. (same computer)

My email account was disabled (long time no use and I forgot the password), I can't login to my email to check the 6-digit code.

I only want to login Dropbox without check email 6-digit code, so what can I do?

Thanks

429 Replies 429

Rich
Super User II

@bkbremmer wrote:

Is there any way to access accounts that were created under an email address that's no longer valid?

You can try contacting Support, but typically without access to the email address there's no way to access the account. Your email is the only way to verify that the account is yours.

abueljebain
Explorer | Level 3
No, I still don't have access

macnutz
New member | Level 2

Hi there, I have created a new account so that I can log into Dropbox to deal with my problem with my Original Dropbox Account that I can no longer get into.

I almost always use Dropbox App on my phone which gave me quick and automatic access to my photos on my Dropbox App.   I have had this for several years and it has never been a problem.  However unbeknown to me it never occurred to me that during this time a change in email address would be a problem as it always worked......

Until I logged onto Dropbox via the desk computer yesterday.........it wanted me to log in again.......that was all fine, I did this using the old email address and I know my password so all good.  The bad news is the verification code I had no access to this as it was sent to my old email address.  That ISP no longer exists and there is no platform in which to access the email.  I still have the old mail program to see old emails but it stops where the ISP server shut down in 2019.

Please can someone help.  I can "log in" but cannot enter the verification code and trying to get in touch with Dropbox seems impossible.   I was hoping that by opening a new account as I have here, I could transfer everything across but I still think the verification code is going to stop me!!

A huge thanks in advance, fingers crossed

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this here, @macnutz

From what I understand, you’re referring to this one-time security code.

If you’re still signed into your Dropbox account on the mobile app, can you please check your notifications? It’s possible you’ll be able to find your one-time code there. 

Otherwise, you’ll need to log a ticket with our support team this way and send me your ticket number here afterwards.

Let me know how that goes.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

macnutz
New member | Level 2

Hi Nancy, thank you very much for your response.  I am just trying to work through your message to see how I can generate a ticket number.  I am currently logged onto a new Dropbox account I opened yesterday so that I can contact someone because I cannot get into the other one!!!  The code I am referring to is the one straight after you enter the email address and password.  It sends a code to the email address on your account, and I cannot access it.   All I need is for the email to be changed internally and I should? be back to normal? 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@macnutz, after you’ve managed to log into your old Dropbox account, you’d need to update the email address indeed to make sure this doesn’t happen again. 

As for your ticket, can you tell me where you’re having difficulty exactly? Did you open another browser where you’re not logged into any Dropbox account to submit it?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Jan_Jorgen
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy
Finally I'm picking up this issue with my Drop Box account again. Here is the ticket number I got from support yesterday: 23480121. 
Can you help me further?
Kindly, Jörgen

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jan_Jorgen, thanks for the nudge and the ticket number here.

I have passed your comments along to the team that will handle your case and raised the priority of your ticket, so a member of our team will be replying to you the soonest possible.

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Bec Baker
New member | Level 2

Hi!

I desperately need help accessing an old account (last accessed 2019). I know the account email and password. When I enter them, I am then advised further authentication is needed - a 6 digit code sent to the email address. The issue is, I can no longer access the email address to access the code (expired postgrad uni email). No other linked devices. It is to access invaluable maternity photos. They were backed up externally but the zip file is now stating corrupted/"empty".

I have emailed the university to try and gain access. I have also contacted the photographer to no avail.

I am so devastated!

Thank you,
Bec

maher1982
Super User

Hi, sorry to tell you this, but based on my information, Dropbox deletes accounts after 12 months of inactivity. I hope I'm mistaken.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    ronga New member | Level 2
    MagdalenaKol New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?