cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Keyonkk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can login successfully,  but needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

Before immigration, login dropbox never needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

After immigration, it needs me to check 6-digit code in email. (same computer)

My email account was disabled (long time no use and I forgot the password), I can't login to my email to check the 6-digit code.

I only want to login Dropbox without check email 6-digit code, so what can I do?

Thanks

429 Replies 429

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tightpurchaser wrote:

When I try to login with an obsolete email address, your site tries to send a security code to that same address ...

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@tightpurchaser, do you have any other devices that may still be linked to that older Dropbox account? If yes, please check their notifications to make sure the one-time code hasn’t been sent there.

If that doesn’t work, we can log a ticket for you instead and send it over to this email address.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tightpurchaser
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Rich, the problem is not remembering the email address.  Your site sends verification, or security codes to that no-good address.  At this time I am not going to try to login with those addresses.  I had a hard enough time logging in here and don't know how I got in.

tightpurchaser
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Nancy, as I began, I do not have other devices other than what I named at the beginning of this thread.  Yes, you can log in a ticket.  I am not going to try to login with those past addresses.  Here I had a difficult time logging in and don't know how I got in.  Also, too many other users are posting their questions here when they should have started their own separate threads.  Please see that they do that.  That way it will become clear that the moderators are responding to me.  There is too much confusing information here.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @tightpurchaser, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it when you get a chance!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Paddy123
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
@Jay @Nancy.
I think there is a few of us in the same boat. Signed up years ago with an email address we no longer have access to, for whatever reason, and when we try to log back into Dropbox now it sends a 6 digit code to our old obsolete email address.

Assuming none of us have access to an old device that was used to log in before is Dropbox now impossible to log into.

Can you tell us here, are you able to authenticate our Dropbox accounts without the old email address. Yes/No

tightpurchaser
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay, I just did, having seen at least three new Dropbox notifications, including your email.  I am on my Mac Monterey now.  Boy, that thread I started today is sure difficult to find on this OS.

tightpurchaser
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Jay and Nancy, as long as Dropbox sends my security code to the address I logged into I can authenticate.  I just emailed Jay so that he knows that the address is mine.  My ISP provided another address which I do not use here.

tightpurchaser
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Paddy123, I thought I was responding to Jay and Nancy to this post.  I thought there was enough confusion earlier today on my Windows 10.  Now, this is Mac Monterey.  Jay sent me a personal message to which I responded just now to confirm my email address.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Paddy123, for security and privacy purposes, we use the email address to verify account identity and ownership.

With that being said you should always be using an email that you have access to, for your Dropbox account. I could however send you an email, if you wish. In order for our team to have a closer look into this. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    ronga New member | Level 2
    MagdalenaKol New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?