cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Issue with Empty Account and Lost Information

Logged into my account and all my files are missing

Lazman1140
New member | Level 2

I've had a drop box subscription for a few years and at renewal, December 1st, 2022, I upgraded to DropBox Plus. Last week I had a blue-screen issue on my Desktop and took it to a repairman. He saved, documents, then (I suppose) cleared the hard drive, and then he reloaded Windows Home 10. When I got my computer back, I noticed I was missing programs - Reaper and Bluebeam. I was annoyed but not too concerned because I had purchase receipts and licenses stored in Dropbox. Then I noticed that Drop Box desktop short-cut was missing. I tried to log-in to DropBox but couldn't remember my password, so the DropBox Chat agent or bot sent me a password reset link. I used that to open DropBox, but all my files are missing. I paid a full year subscription in advance expecting secure cloud storage, but all my stored documents are gone  ... very important documents for which there are no or very limited hard copies. Does anyone know how I can recover my old account? Because it looks like my password reset started a new account.

62 Replies 62

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Raquel7 

Before you noticed it was empty how long ago did you last log on?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

Hello! im not sure but maximum 3 months 

Mark
Super User II

@Raquel7 wrote:

Hello! im not sure but maximum 3 months 

And events is empty?

If so only a few things can have happened - the account was deleted and this is a new one (or you've accidentally logged in to a new account instead of one you already had), the files have been permanently deleted by something - which would not appear on Events OR they were shared files and you have been removed from said share. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Raquel7, just to confirm, are you sure that you're using the same email address to login to your account, as you did before?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

Its seems the account has been deleted because i have a welcome message , but the thing is i´ve never did that! is there any way to recover my old account?  

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah, yes im sure cause i just have one mail account

Mark
Super User II

@Raquel7 wrote:

Its seems the account has been deleted because i have a welcome message , but the thing is i´ve never did that! is there any way to recover my old account?  

It isnt possible to recover a deleted account, but, my guess is that if you didn actually delete it you have accidentally logged in and set up a second account and your data will be on the 'old' one instead. 

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

But can you have two accounts with the same email address? i just have one adress, so that why i dont understand. 

Mark
Super User II

@Raquel7 wrote:

But can you have two accounts with the same email address? i just have one adress, so that why i dont understand. 

No you cant. But, as Dropbox doesnt do any sort of checks on account set up it doesn't mean you used the right email initially.... 

Also if you use google, for example, they annoyingly allow any punctuation before the @ sign to be part of the same email, but, here it would be separate accounts. Same using gmail.com and googlemail.com - its all one at Gmail, but, 2 here (and everywhere else)!. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Raquel7, if you check your email address, do you see any other emails from Dropbox in the last couple of months? Anything at all before that welcome email you mentioned in your first post? 

If not, and you have one email address indeed, I’m thinking about the possibility that the other Dropbox account was set up with an email address that had a typo, like Mark suggests above, as well.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?