cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logged into my account and all my files are missing

Logged into my account and all my files are missing

Lazman1140
New member | Level 2

I've had a drop box subscription for a few years and at renewal, December 1st, 2022, I upgraded to DropBox Plus. Last week I had a blue-screen issue on my Desktop and took it to a repairman. He saved, documents, then (I suppose) cleared the hard drive, and then he reloaded Windows Home 10. When I got my computer back, I noticed I was missing programs - Reaper and Bluebeam. I was annoyed but not too concerned because I had purchase receipts and licenses stored in Dropbox. Then I noticed that Drop Box desktop short-cut was missing. I tried to log-in to DropBox but couldn't remember my password, so the DropBox Chat agent or bot sent me a password reset link. I used that to open DropBox, but all my files are missing. I paid a full year subscription in advance expecting secure cloud storage, but all my stored documents are gone  ... very important documents for which there are no or very limited hard copies. Does anyone know how I can recover my old account? Because it looks like my password reset started a new account.

62 Replies 62

BilboBaggins67
Explorer | Level 3
Is anyone on here able to help me recover my account or my files?

Mark
Super User II

@BilboBaggins67 wrote:
Is anyone on here able to help me recover my account or my files?

If its over 12 months its unrecoverable. The terms and conditions do state this and Dropbox does send multiple emails over many months before it does so.

A quick easy way to check is via www.dropbox.com/events - what does that say or show? Also, if they were accidentally deleted they would be recoverable, for 30 days assuming you are a free user, from that page. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

BilboBaggins67
Explorer | Level 3
Been there. No events. Also no multiple emails. Is there a support email address for free account holders?

Mark
Super User II

If Events is blank its back to what @Rich said before - either the account is brand new OR it has been cleared for inactivity.

All support options are listed at www.dropbox.com/support which is account dependent. Note that there is no incoming email support for any level of Dropbox account - even Enterprise. Everything is done via that link. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

BilboBaggins67
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your help. It was an old work email account. I’m back in

Johnofcc
New member | Level 2

I had lots of pictures and files uploaded to Dropbox when I had the premium plan. About 3 years ago I did not renew it. I logged on to the free version now. Of course, my files are not there. Not enough space I would imagine. My question is: If I upgrade my plan, can I retrieve all of the older files that were uploaded previously? Thank you

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Johnofcc, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

Dropbox wouldn't have deleted your files, even if your subscription wasn't renewed, your account would just go over its quota and you'd keep getting reminders to re-upgrade.

Did you receive any of those reminders?

Also, when was the last time you logged in to the account? If it's been more than 12 months, the account itself would have been deleted due to inactivity.

Could that be the case?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Johnofcc
New member | Level 2
I logged in woth my old username & password just fine. The files sre gone though. May or may not have been 12 months. The account was still active though. Just not in a paid subscription. Where would i find the files? Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, if the account was active, then the files should be in your all files page.

Try looking at your deleted files and your events page as well, to see if you can find anything there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

Around two months ago, I received a welcome message in my Dropbox account, but I have not canceled or reset my account at any point. My account was full, and I had several folders, both personal and shared with others. However, recently when I accessed my account, I noticed that it is completely empty, and I can no longer access my previous information.

I also checked the account history, and it appears as if the account is new, starting only two months ago. I want to mention that I was using a free account and had not subscribed to any paid plan.

I would greatly appreciate your help in recovering my folders and files, as they contain important information.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you in advance,

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Raquel7 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?