cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Trey3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,
I have looked at several threads on here and have not found a good answer. I have an old Dropbox account that I lost access to back in the beginning of 2019. I lost access to it because the email associated with it no longer exists. I also know for a fact that any device that was once logged into it also does not exist. Any of those devices would be long gone.

There is no way any activity could be associated with the account, however today I went to enter the email and password, and it still proceeded to send the 6 digit code to the email that no longer exists.

Is this a thing with inactive accounts where sometimes it will still give you the option to sign in? I’m asking because at this point I just want the files to be deleted on the account, and I am not sure if that would be the case in this situation. I am not interested in gaining access to the account. I’m just concerned about my privacy because I had sensitive documents and personal information on there, and I’m hoping that maybe Dropbox still ended up deleting files, even though the option to sign in is still there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

35 Replies 35

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Amitkumar1, I can see that my colleague Megan has already sent you an email to the email address that's connected to your profile here, on our Community about this issue.

Have you had the chance to check it out by the way? If you can't find it in your inbox, you can also check your email's spam/junk folder to see if it ended up there somehow. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Amitkumar1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Not working

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Amitkumar1, can you clarify what’s not working exactly? Are you unable to see the email Megan sent you to this email address?

@mairiclaire76, can you please send me your ticket number to have a look, as well?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Amitkumar1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
In starting dropbox required only email or password and I put inactive email. But after new update dropbox my account is blocked because I not login dropbox without security code.
Please help me

Amitkumar1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
How to open dropbox without two step verification code

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Amitkumar1, keep in mind that I opened up a ticket for you. I reached out to your Community-linked email address. 

Have you tried accessing it? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Amitkumar1 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?