cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Me420,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

It sounds like you already tried steps to resolve the issue with Adobe and Google for the PDF files, but I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

Let's be sure you can find the file in the Dropbox mobile app — if it's not installed, you can find it at the app store on your phone.

Tap the three dots to the right of the file in the Dropbox app, choose "Share", then "Send a copy of the file", and choose the Gmail app, to add it as a regular file attachment.

Also, does the file open correctly in the Adobe Acrobat Reader, if you choose "Open with.." from the Dropbox app?

Email apps have a size limit for attachments, so if you find you're hitting that, you can send a link to it, on Dropbox, from the "Share" menu, instead. 

Keep me posted with what you find!

Calvin
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Me420
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can leave an Gmail conversation and open the Dropbox app and email the file starting a new thread. However, I am unable to attach the file using Gmail on the Pixel phone. 

When it comes to "Open with" I still am choosing and I choose Adobe Acrobat App. However, I have not made Adobe the default app yet. 

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Me420,

Thanks for confirming!

So, you can interact with the file inside Dropbox, like "Open with.." or export from the app's Share menu, but reaching the file from outside Dropbox, from your Gmail app is the issue.

I can troubleshoot more with you if it's something going on in the Dropbox mobile app side, or the Dropbox web page, but for the Gmail app, the best I can do is suggest you reach back out to them.

Please check if there's something you're missing from their workflow on how to do that here, or at which step it's going wrong.

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sandyprice
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Larry you're awesome...!!...it never occurred to me to attach the files that way! Works okay until it fixes in place... Thanks again... Yes..I also have an Android... I attach files multiple times throughout the day and this has been a nightmare!

Me420
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
The files work great using Dropbox and Adobe or Microsoft apps. However, when I'm in my gmail application, it's the Gmail app that's not letting me attach the files from Dropbox on this pixel phone.

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Me420,

Thanks for confirming!

OK, so, even though there's no way for  Dropbox to control anything that's happening from within the Gmail app side, there's one more thing I'd like to rule out.

If you go to your Dropbox account settings, you can check the "Apps" section, here: https://www.dropbox.com/account/connected_apps 

Also, be sure to check the Dropbox App Centre in case you need to connect our Google account there, too: https://www.dropbox.com/apps/gmail 

Let me know if you don't have the Gmail account showing up as connected there.

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

Me420
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Yes, Microsoft Integration Dropbox has permissions there.

meupatdoes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Having the same problem as everyone else.
My phone is a Google pixel 6 pro.

No issues on the desktop or laptop.

What is the fix for this??

VickiBurbank
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
From email on your phone click on attach/paperclip, click hamburg on top left, don't click Dropbox but instead plus sign to the right of icon, checkmark files you want to attach then checkmark at the top right. Easy once you get used to it

meupatdoes
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I don't see the "plus sign to the right of icon" - are screenshots possible?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    antolepore Explorer | Level 3
    mboeker New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?