cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

LukeF
Helpful | Level 6
Hi,
The ability to attach an email to a Reply email is essential for all sorts of business use, but also for various personal users as well.

The function is not available to Android Users who use the Gmail App after it was inexplicably removed / or the Dropbox App failed to keep up with the Android OS development.

All of the Competition (most notably One Drive) continue to have this function, as do iOS users.
- it is a native function for all Apps on Android and I am amazed that Dropbox hasn't replaced this issue

Please restore this ASAP.

Thanks

2AMack
New member | Level 2

Hi Ben,

This is affecting lots of people.   Whatever you can do the escalate this with the DB engineering team would be greatly appreciated.   Attaching files via my phone is vital for my work.  If I can't do that I need to leave Dropbox and find a new cloud provider.  Thanks,  Adam

Grahamwsu
Explorer | Level 4
Good Morning, it is December and this is still an issue for me on my Pixel 6 Pro. I have cleared cash, reinstalled programs etc. after doing all this the file attached for a split second and then it disappeared and the normal message appeared saying can't connect file. Need this fixed ASAP.

MapMaiden
New member | Level 2

Using the Gmail app on Android, I can only attach Media...the usual apps to attach are not even options. 

geevenkat
New member | Level 2
This is also not working. When I try to use this method and choose dropbox and then the file, I get an error message stating that 'unable to attach'

geevenkat
New member | Level 2
I have to download the file to my device and then I am able to attach the files.

dublinator
New member | Level 2
*As others have stated, to attach files, you will need to select Attach File in Gmail, open the hamburger menu on the left, select Dropbox, then choose the files to be uploaded.* Yes, I do this but get the message "couldn't upload file". This sucks! A feature not a bug then, eh?

dublinator
New member | Level 2
Maybe a plot from Google to make Dropbox clients switch to Google drive? Dropbox customers need solutions please!

dublinator
New member | Level 2

Yessss! This works! *Paperwork meaning paperclip* Thank you!

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
From the Dropbox support team -see below. It really does work. It's a matter of getting used to it.
========
I've spoken with our Engineering team about this, who have confirmed that the 'Attach from Dropbox' option no longer being available is the result of an update to the Android OS and Gmail app, specifically Storage Access Framework. This means that the option to Attach from Dropbox will no longer be available.
As others have stated, to attach files, you will need to select Attach File in Gmail, open the hamburger menu on the left, select Dropbox, then choose the files to be uploaded.
Regards,
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    antolepore Explorer | Level 3
    mboeker New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?