cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do shared files count against my space use???

Why do shared files count against my space use???

dualice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why are files shared with me counted against my space usage? Is this data counted twice? If someone who is sharing files with me is paying for this space, why should I have to pay as well just to access it? I am out of space, I have no intention of buying more space, and yet, when someone shares some files with me, I cannot access them and I am forced to buy space in order to access them. Why is this?

Thank you.

143 Replies 143

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update, Rebecca!

To be able to save files to the folder, they'd need to have edit permissions, however, you can use the workaround of a file request.

And in order to give them access to the folder, you can use a "can view" link instead.

That way, their Dropbox space won't be affected at all.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Hannah so, in general, storage is only affected if a shared file has edit access allowed? And the storage refers to online or desktop space available? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

HI @Rebecca16, if it is a shared folder, which is then added to their account, then it would affect their quota. 

This quota we're referring to is the online quota on your (and their) Dropbox account. If the Dropbox desktop application is installed, it will also take up space on the computer. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

A_Temp_202
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a client that wants me to upload files to their box, not my box, their box. 

Drop says I need to pay for more storage to upload to their box. 

Why? 

I solved the issue with google drive, but can someone explain why I need to pay to upload to someone's box, not mine. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@A_Temp_202 wrote:

I have a client that wants me to upload files to their box, not my box, their box.  Drop says I need to pay for more storage to upload to their box. Why?

You're not uploading to their Dropbox. You're uploading to a shared folder in your account, which syncs with a folder in their account. You need to have enough space in your account for anything that you have stored in it.

If you don't need to access the files after you upload them, the recipient can send you a File Request instead, which allows you to upload directly to their account without affecting your own (you don't even need an account).

KeeganMillar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Exactly how it sounds... Is this the dropbox scam?

Someone is already paying for the storage, and dropbox is double dipping and getting me to buy it too?

I highly doubt dropbox is duplicating the files.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@KeeganMillar wrote:

Someone is already paying for the storage, and dropbox is double dipping and getting me to buy it too?

The files exist in your account so they take up space in your account. It's also meant to prevent people from stacking accounts for unlimited space.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @KeeganMillar, I've merged you to this thread with users that have similar questions. 

This post should help clarify regarding shared quota. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

KeeganMillar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The other main file storage platforms manage to do the exact same without conning their clients - One Drive, Google, iCloud.

truenet-lhathcock
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A paid dropbox account has shared their data with me by sending me a link.  This is my first dropbox account at this email address.  I cannot see the data without upgrading from my free account to a paid account?

I just need read-only access to their data.

What am I doing wrong?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mwoo New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    tpatel0 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?