cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files sync to Mac computers, but not to a Windows one

Files sync to Mac computers, but not to a Windows one

Iliana1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Has anyone experienced this.
I have 5 devices on which I share my Dropbox. 4 are Apple and sync instantaneously. My recent purchase of a windows laptop will not sync all of my folders/files/documents. I’m not getting timely support from Dropbox it’s been almost a month of back and forth emails and still they offer no solution and will not call me to troubleshoot.
I’m open to ideas or another provider to move my business to that provides support.

Thank you for any advise on this
Iliana1

14 Replies 14

njet01
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having exactly the same trouble as you, the mobile phone Dropbox application that I run on an Iphone 12 and my Windows Laptop (Dell Inspiron 16) Dropbox Folder display different documents in each, things not syncing over in a timely fashion.

It's is hugely frustrating and a major inconvenience not knowing if my files will be available when I need them, so I empathise with your position OP.

Iliana1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thank you Walter. You’re correct I have not answered because they keep sending me things to try that I don’t understand and I don’t want to mess up a brand new computer. I’ve asked if they would call me and we could trouble shoot over the phone which would probably take less time, but they haven’t reached out.
I’ve explained that I have Dropbox set up as a single user. It’s not in an office setting with multiple users or an administrator/IT. It’s only me and my devices.
I appreciate your response and I will try to update through the link you provided.

Iliana1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hannah you are the WINNER!!!!!! after over a month trying to work with Dropbox support, your solution worked.  There were files that had special characters in them. How support did not point that out, I don't know.  I GREATLY appreciate your response and your assistance.  

Thank  you!

Iliana

Iliana1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello Walter. First, I resolved the issues.  Hannah suggested checking folder and file names for possible character issues.  I went through a lengthy process of checking each folder and file and found several with incompatible characters for the Windows laptop. Everything seems to be syncing properly now.

I would still like to update the devices to the current versions as you recommended in your previous reply. I saw there are different versions for Mac and for Windows. They all are for Offline . I'm not sure what that means, I use everything online, but maybe I should have this installed also??  Should I be doing both of these for the Windows laptop and both on the MAC devices, desktop/ipad/iphone?

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer (32 Bit)
Offline Installer (64 Bit) Mac OS X Standard Installer (Universal) Offline Installer (Intel)
Offline Installer (Apple Silicon)

Thank you,

Iliana

Iliana1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

njet01,

I resolved my issue.  its the character incompatibility between a MAC and Windows capability.  Windows has file name rules that do not accept the MAC file names. (Mac is more flexible)

Hannah, a Dropbox Staff member responded with the following suggestion.  I went through all of my folder and file names and made corrections. They instantly synced across to the Windows laptop. Give it a try. Hope it resolves your issue too.

Hannah's response:

If they sync to your Mac computers and online, but not your Windows one, can you check if the names of the files have any incompatible characters?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Iliana1 Helpful | Level 5
    njet01 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?