cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view previews of online-only files on desktop (like how you can in the mobile app)? - macOS

How to view previews of online-only files on desktop (like how you can in the mobile app)? - macOS

meganh32
Helpful | Level 5

I'm trying to figure out how to see previews, specifically of .jpeg online files, on my mac desktop. I use Dropbox almost exclusively for photo management and it's frustrating not even being able to see a preview so I can figure out which files I need to download locally (I just moved from an old computer that had enough storage to download everything offline to a new computer with much less storage so almost everything is online). I can do this on my android app. All of the online-only files on the mobile app are fully previewable and I can scroll through everything before deciding what to download. Is this possible on the desktop?

165 Replies 165

PeterS13
New member | Level 2

Same boat here. Having recently upgraded to Sonoma 14.2, I am so thoroughly annoyed that I still cannot see image previews! I've just had to download (make available offline) 6 GB of client images just to be able to select a few for a publication design. Please fix this now!

abzhakim
Helpful | Level 6
Im also one of those people who are having issues view thumbnails for online-only files.

It’s updated to the latest version. Can we please have this be too priority? I need to be able to see my thumbnails (by clicking the space bar on my Mac) so I can work efficiently.

Please, anyone, if you have a solution let me know. Tag me. This is very very frustrating and a bug that should have been fixed ages ago. Dropbox, please do better. We’re all here patiently waiting. If this issue isn’t resolved I’d have no other option but to cancel my plan and switch to an app that can allow basic functions for viewing files as thumbnails.

WaterWater
Helpful | Level 6

It's truly remarkable that DB has yet to address this issue after many months. Transparency and communication with users are essential, whether to convey that DB is prioritizing other issues or to clarify that the problem lies with the operating system, beyond their control, and unfortunately, there might not be a solution. The absence of a response on such a crucial component of their service is particularly disappointing, and surprising, for a company that claims to make customer satisfaction a priority.

I wish there was a way to use a SM megaphone to use this problem as an example of just how little service is available to enterprise level DB users. 

_MKT
Helpful | Level 6

I know, still an issue for me too and it's been soooo long. I regularily have to download 1-5gb worth of files by clicking "make available offline" from our design team's dropbox, then at the end of the week I have to remember to set them back to online only so my mac isn't being clogged up. Our dropbox at work is WAY too big to always have everything available offline and as a designer I need thumbnails (and sparebar previews) to find, link or edit dozens of images daily. 

I recently read an article about a fix using "file provider" on mac, however explanations of what that is seem sketchy, and when I check my dropbox preferences it says I'm ineligible, despite my computer and os being newer than the minimums by far, and dropbox's file provider eligibility criteria page provides no insight as to why I would be ineligible. It also seems to say you can't add dropbox to finder toolbar, but i'm not sure if that includes the sidebar or not (where mine is currently accessed).

The thing that really gets me, is this didn't break with an ios update, it broke with a dropxbox update, which moved things and changed standards and THATS why I just can't believe the old "it's all Apple's fault" line, it sounds a lot more like a company-wide attitude that Apple is 'annoying and different and they can't be bothered fixing this thing we broke by redesigning how it worked'. Thing is, Apple isn't small fry anymore, the user base is huge and that cop out just doesn't work these days. 

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 15.58.12.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-18 at 16.00.46.jpg

CharlotteR
Collaborator | Level 8

The incredibly annoying thing is, I have both Dropbox Personal (Plus) and Dropbox Teams.

The issue is present ONLY for my Teams Dropbox files, NOT for my Personal Dropbox.

Surely there is a fix that can be copied from Personal Dropbox?!

abzhakim
Helpful | Level 6
I’m happy to see that I’m not the only one suffering from this (not exactly happy, but you know what I mean.)

I have Dropbox, the personal 2TB account, and it still doesn’t work for me- so it’s not a matter of personal or shared.

I chatted with a Dropbox employee via website chat support and the agent did give me some guidance. This didn’t end up working for me, but perhaps you guys could benefit from it:

1) Go into system preferences on a Mac

2) then “Extensions”

3) Finder Extensions > then uncheck everything but Dropbox.

4) Restart system and check the files.

Again, this didn’t solve my problem but maybe it would for you. Would be curious to hear if it does or doesn’t.

When I told the agent that jt didn’t work, they said they have another option, but I didn’t do it as I had files syncing. Once they’re done (which would now be day 11 of file syncing mind you,) I will check again.

If anyone tried, please post. Also, lastly, I would urge everyone to go on the desktop site and chat with agents and make sure they know this is an issue. They’re helpful. And once a solution works, please post here.

We’re all stunned at how messed up this is- but people in this thread, earlier on, did mention that sometime the updates worked for them and they were able to see thumbnails. We’re gunna have to keep trying!

_MKT
Helpful | Level 6

That’s an interesting one considering in my system settings Dropbox doesn’t come up as HAVING an extension… under security settings > extensions > finder.

However if I go to > added extensions instead, Dropbox Transfer comes up (but that’s it) and is ticked (the only other ones on are Adobe creative cloud which are legit and I cannot live without).

A Dropbox community search tells me finder extensions are being retired by Dropbox (they again blame Apple in their response to the person’s question about it). So it’s entertaining that they are blaming extensions now.

loridraws
New member | Level 2

Add me to this thread of frustrated people!! Grateful to everyone who has continually followed up here, I am on Sonoma 14.1 and Dropbox 191.4.4995 - brand new Macbook and I thought I was going insane.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 11.25.03 AM.png

creativum
Helpful | Level 5

Same problems here. Sonoma 14.3.1 (23D60), Dropbox: 192.4.4605. New Installation, restart of Dropbox and Finder several times. Online-Preview PSD Files works fine. PDFs and JPGs not. Very annoying for professional use and a lot of money that we spend on a business subscription. I hope there will be a solution soon. 

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

We're aware it's been some time since this issue was reported: previews not working properly in Finder when in online-only, specifically in Team accounts. However, we want to assure you that our engineering team is actively investigating this.

We'll keep you posted here once we have more meaningful updates or a fix ready. And we'll keep pushing for updates on our end, too.

We appreciate your patience so far,

Sam

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CharlotteR Collaborator | Level 8
    massimilianogrieco Helpful | Level 6
    Creneau_Admin Helpful | Level 6
    FedericoP Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?