cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem getting verification codes that never arrive.

Problem getting verification codes that never arrive.

mikey59
New member | Level 2

I've had a couple of issues lately with getting the verification codes while trying to help another user with their account! 

We tried several times & nothing, even checking spam/junk folder & nothing that evening nor the next morning.

Is there a way to disable the two step verification temporarily while working on an issue or another way to get in without waiting for a code that may never come?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mikey59, let's jump right into this! 

I'm assuming based on everything you mentioned that you're talking about our one-time security code and not the 2FA, is that right? 

In any case, there's no way to disable that, or bypass it. Have you added no-reply@dropbox.com to their contacts list, in order to ensure that email goes through?

Is it possible that their business domains have blocked emails from the following Dropbox domains?

I'll wait for your update!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mikey59
New member | Level 2

I'll try adding that email to their contact list, but they have received them in the past, so I didn't know if there was an issue on your end. As of this morning, no codes have come though, either.

I myself was having problems with this Sunday night (with my account), I had tried 3 times, waiting 5 - 10 minutes between tried & then 20 - 30 minutes later they started coming in.

What made the situation more irritating was that I'd made a 30 minute drive to their house to fix an issue with a password keeper file that was shared via Dropbox & without that code, I couldn't resolve the issue, wasting my time, as well as theirs!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I definitely see where you're coming from @mikey59!

In any case, give it a go and if this doesn't work, we'll try our best to see what we can do and how to remedy this. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mikey59
New member | Level 2

My next attempt will be around noon, central time on 7/26. If I encounter problems, is there a number I can get through to for help or a live chat or anything in the way of support?

Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mikey59, if you still have issues, you can let us know here.

Also, make sure to try and reset the password for that account, to see if that helps bypass the security code process.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

JohnnyDogman
Helpful | Level 7

Unfortunately, two-step verification can’t be disabled temporarily without logging in. Here’s what you can try:

1. Resend the Code: Attempt resending the code after a few minutes.
  2. Check Contact Information: Ensure the email or phone number linked to the account is correct.
  3. Use Backup Codes: If you have saved backup codes, use them to log in.
  4. Contact Support: If codes still aren’t arriving, reach out to Dropbox Support directly for assistance.

Hope this helps!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JohnnyDogman Helpful | Level 7
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    mikey59 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?