cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Mistyped email address

HELP! Mistyped email address

SnowBlue
New member | Level 2

Can anybody help me? I'm in an inception-type situation. I recently purchased an HP All-In-One PC desktop with a free dropbox 100 GBs so I signed up, but it was very late at night and I mistyped my email address during the signup.  I might have even already put in my credit card information (I don't remember because it was very late). Dropbox let me sign up anyway without verifying my email!! This turns out to be very problematic. So now I can't change my email login to Dropbox because I've never verified that email to begin with because obviously I can't get into that wrong email as I don't own it. I can't even talk to the Dropbox CHATBOT because you need a verified email. How do I contact Dropbox so my card doesn't get charged?   I already even sent them a help request via form on the website and gave them all the details and my correct email address, and Dropbox support never replied. 

This is a mess 😞 Does anybody have any ideas?

18 Replies 18

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting about this here, @SnowBlue

Please note that, in general, Dropbox is unable to verify the existence of the email address you insert, when creating a Dropbox account. Also, if the promotional space has already been granted to that Dropbox account, our team won't be able to transfer it to another account under the correct email address. 

However, if you've managed to open a ticket with our support team about this, can you send me your ticket number to make sure you won't get charged? 

Let me know, when you're ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SnowBlue
New member | Level 2

Sadly Dropbox did not give me a ticket number. I was expecting a confirmation to my correct email which I sent on July 16, but I didn't even get that.  I'd like to give you my correct email address, the details of my sign-up including date and time and even the IP address that I signed up from and even what kind of PC it is, and anything else you need to authenticate me as the person who signed up when I said I did. I can give you both wrong and correct spelling of my email address, but obviously I can't give you this information in this public forum. What do you suggest? Thank in advance for your help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @SnowBlue, sorry to jump in here! 

I suggest that you contact Dropbox Support directly, in order to cancel your charge. 

Visit the Support page while you're not signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Once you do, feel free to give me your ticket number. If you can't, or if you have any issues I'd be happy to reach out to your Community-linked email address. However is it the correct one? Will I be able to reach you there? 

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Z11
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, we have been using this account for years, but I just realized that I entered the wrong email address at that time. I can't change it, because that would require a verification, but that similar email address is not mine. Can you please help me change my email address? You can see in my billing history that we had a Dropbox Plus plan and we have had this account for years. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Z11! Hope you’re doing well. 

Please note we don’t have any account visibility on the forum, so we can’t check your Dropbox account’s billing history.

Is the typo you mention in the email name or your domain instead? 

Also, are you still being billed for this Plus subscription?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Z11
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy! Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the typo is in my domain name. Can i change it somehow? 

My card expired and could no longer be charged, this is how I found out that there was a problem with my email address. I can log in because I logged in earlier in a browser, but on other computer I can't log in at all because of 6-digit security password (because I don't have that email account). I would like to avoid changing my card because if my browser will no longer let me in, I can't even use this account anymore... Can you please help me? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Z1, welcome to our Community!

Since you have access to your account online, can you try to change the email address? 

You can do this from your account's General tab, click on the verify email button and then choose the 'update email address' option from the prompt you get. Input your correct email address and password and you should receive an email to verify your email address to your (correct) email's inbox.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Z11
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan! 

There is no "update email address" button. It says: 

"Verify your email address
Verify your email address at x@xx.xx to share folders and ensure your account can be recovered."

I tried to send an email, hoping it will give me an updating option, but it just sent it to this (non-existent) email address, and that's all. 😞 I can't change it in this way. Can I change it somewhere else? 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, @Z11

If there's a typo in your email domain, I'm afraid there won't be much our team can do. 

However, it's definitely a good thing that you still have access to this Dropbox account. Are you currently logged in to a desktop app? 

If yes, you can download your files from Dropbox instead/copy them to another location on your computer and transfer them to a second Dropbox account under your correct email address. If you also have a large amount of data on Dropbox, you can upgrade that second account instead by inserting your billing info there.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Goddess_Nyx Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?