cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving files out of Dropbox now defaults to the 'copy' function

Moving files out of Dropbox now defaults to the 'copy' function

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

Starting sometime this week, whenever I try to move a file out of my Dropbox to another location on the same drive, it will default to 'copy' and leave the original still in Dropbox. This duplication now requires that I manually delete the file from my Dropbox if I want to complete the action of relocating a file.

However, if I drag a file into my Dropbox from anywhere on the same drive, it will behave normally and 'move' the file without duplication. Moving files within folders in Dropbox also retains the default 'move' function.

What is causing this bizarre 'copy' behavior and how do I get rid of it? I want the default drag behavior, within the same drive, to be 'move'.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this. This change in behavior was the result of a change by Microsoft. Dragging a folder out of a root sync folder now defaults to the copy function on Windows 11. This change is not limited to Dropbox, but any root sync folder.

As a workaround, shift+click and drag will allow the expected cut + paste or "move folder" functionality.

Regards,

Ben

View solution in original post

47 Replies 47

Nate_C
Super User
Hello, what kind of device are you using? And what operating system?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Questions13, thanks for reaching out to us.

This is actually an action that's determined by your OS, since the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer.

If you quit the Dropbox app and then try the same steps, do you get the same behavior?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

Desktop, Windows 11.

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

Exiting (and even uninstalling) the Dropbox app does not fix the issue. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Questions13, you mentioned that uninstalling the app doesn't fix the issue. 

So, if I asked you to quit the app, and while the app is still closed follow the same steps, could you let me know what happens then?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

Yep, I followed the steps to quit the app and then tried to move some files. Same 'copy' behavior.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking @Questions13.

Since you noticed the same behavior even when our app is closed, then it might be unrelated to Dropbox.

Had it been the app causing this, then you wouldn't notice the same results when the app wasn't running.

Do you notice the same thing if you choose a file/folder within Dropbox, and then right click and choose cut instead of dragging and dropping it? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

I considered that it might be independent of the Dropbox app but this literally is only happening to files in the Dropbox folder.

The cut function works normally. Likewise, if I hold Shift while dragging a file to force a 'move', it works as well. 

shin7
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, the same issue is occurring on my PCs.

I'm using several PCs and installed Dropbox on each machines. And some machines work correctly, but the other machine doesn't work fine.

This issue is occurring on Windows11 Home edition (version 23H2). My Windows11 Pro pcs are working correctly.

Need more support?