cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 Upgrade and cannot get Dropbox to work properly

Windows 11 Upgrade and cannot get Dropbox to work properly

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I recently upgraded my PC desktop to Windows 11.  Dropbox worked perfectly in Windows 10, and when I upgraded my laptop to 11, it was seamless.   On the desktop, I can access Dropbox through the web, but updated files from my other computers do not show up as updated when I load them into their usual application on the desktop! (for example, I can "see" an updated Excel file in the Dropbox viewer, but when I try to open it up in Excel, I only get an older file.)  I think the Dropbox app is not loaded in Windows 11, but when I attempt to install the download (both the regular and the extended), I get an error message that the files needed cannot be accessed.  Is this the problem?  If so, how do I fix it?  The Microsoft Store only has something called Dropbox for S Mode (I don't have S Mode, as far as I know).  Should I use that?  This is both confusing and frustrating.  Help!

54 Replies 54

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Ok, I saw the way to look for instructions to get out of S mode in Windows 11... but when I follow them, there is no link that says I can "Switch to Windows 11 Pro", only that I can upgrade (for a fee) to Windows 11 Pro.  If I go to the Microsoft Store through that, there's no option to disable S mode.  There's no option to disable S mode in the settings menu (I'm not even sure I'm in S mode...).  

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I did find the "switch out of S mode" instructions for Windows 11, but trying to follow them does not lead me to the right place...  I only got to the Microsoft Store for buying the upgrade to Windows 11 Pro.  There is no link for switching out of S mode from the Home edition (which is what I have and need).

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'd recommend getting in contact with Microsoft for further support, since it appears you're unable to switch out of S Mode.

This would be the reason why you're not able to install the Dropbox desktop application since upgrading to Windows 11.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So...  

1.  I was able to install an app from outside the Microsoft Store, so I suspect I'm not in S mode.  Also, there's no indication that I have the option to get out of S mode, which makes me think I'm not in S mode.

2.  I have installed Dropbox for S mode already, but it does not seem to function properly... 

3.  Before I call Microsoft, and get into the weeds with them, can you offer any other suggestions, to either get Dropbox for S mode to work properly (as I already have it installed), or to get the full Dropbox app installed (since I can apparently install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store)?

ajborson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So...

The secret (as is sadly so often the case) is a re-start.

Once I did that, I was able to get the full Dropbox app to install, and now it looks like I can access the Dropbox files correctly.

I don't understand this, but it did the trick.

thanks to Megan and Jay for your help!

Andy

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Any time, @ajborson

If you have any other questions, you know where to find us! 

Happy New Year 2022! 🎉

Megan
dropbox.com/support

AGriffey
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I upgraded to Win11 and now I am unable to right-click>Lock editing. How do I access this feature without having to use Dropbox.com?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @AGriffey, I hope you're doing well! 

Have you checked to make sure your desktop app is running? 

If so, what's its syncing status, please? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

AGriffey
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

All of my files are up to date. I checked and I do not have any sync issues.

DaveW26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello everyone.

Happy new year and all the best to everyone.

So I dont use these community threads much, but I am this close to throwing my brand new Surface Laptop out of the window.

It is set up with WINDOWS 11, and not in S Mode. checked all the system configuration. I am trying to sign into my dropbox to download it, the files etc. But it doesnt recognise my password. i have dropbox plus. my old laptop is next to me and can sign in online etc no problem. but on my new one it says "oops looks like you may have forgotten your password..." etc.

I haven't - it is correct.

Anyone else have this issue when signing in and downloading drop box in windows 11? 

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    MarkMM New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    grov Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?