cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are files made available offline on Android sometimes not available?

Why are files made available offline on Android sometimes not available?

Dave81
Explorer | Level 4

I use Dropbox to store all my music files(MS word). I use my Windows 10 PC to create all of the files. All of the files upload fine into Dropbox. I make the folder contents available off line on 2 Android tablets. In previous Dropbox versions I could see if all the files were updated with the file unticked till synced then the green tick when synced. I am never sure now if the full sync is complete (I have around 800 song files). The "green tick" seems to be there BUT I have found that some files, not many, are not available when I get to an event , one tablet may have the file but not the other (I turn wifi off when I leave home as I don't want random pop ups etc). Am I missing something or can anybody point me to a solution. A quick way of confirming sync would be fine. Thanks. Dave   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you tried these steps to keep the files updated on the mobile app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Dave81, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are the files that you're experiencing this issue with random, or the same files as previous occasions?

Have you tried removing the offline option, and then making them offline again to see if this helps?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Dave81
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay, 

No it seems to be random files. I get the feeling that maybe it hasn't sync'd up fully. Before I set of for a gig I connect to wifi , run Dropbox , and leave it for maybe 30 mins. I'm sure that I have all "green" ticks, although I cant check all 700 tracks. I then disconnect wifi. At the venue occasionally an odd track will not load (despite being "green") , its maybe 4 or 5 tracks each time , not the same files, but ones that I have probably edited. Is there something that can tell me if a full sync has been achieved before I disconnect wifi ? In the meantime I will try taking them all off "available off line" then putting them all back. Thanks. Dave

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Dave81, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

Usually the icon of the white downward-facing arrow in a green circle indicates that a file is available offline.

One thing I'd like to clarify, though, is what you said in your initial message about using Dropbox to store your music files; you also mentioned MS Word. 

Can you give us a bit more info on what you meant about MS Word?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Dave81
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah, Yes the green tick(or arrow) says that the file is available off line. BUT ,and I must say on rare occasions, the odd file will fail to download with an error (I must remember to make a note of that). I always take 2 Android tablets and it is usually OK on the other one, there is no pattern to which one I get the problem with. A simple indication would be great once syncing is finished , maybe a big green tick somewhere. Files are standard Microsoft Word , just standard docx format. Thanks. Dave

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey Dave!

Usually when you add files in your account using our desktop app, the next step would be for the app to sync these additions to your account online.

Next step is for these changes to sync to your mobile app, but that usually won't take as long -depending on the size & the volume of course- and it might also happen in the background. 

Would you mind clarifying your device's OS, and the Dropbox version you use there? Also, do you use these steps to make your content available offline. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Dave81
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan, The process you describe is exactly what I do. Adding files to Dropbox from my PC always works. I have songs going back to 2014 (in MS word) and have used the system since then. A while ago there must have been an update that stopped the rotating "sync" icon showing the update process. When synced , the icon would show green with the tick. (which I have since learned is a down arrow??) It was easy to see progress and I could leave the tablet on line until I could see that all off the files were "green" That is no longer the case and there are occasions where the file shows green BUT it is not available offline. I need to turn off WiFi to prevent any "pop ups" etc whilst playing.  I'm using Windows 10, Android App version 384.2.2. Thanks. Dave

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Dave81, just to make sure we're on the same page: are you talking about the icons when you access our desktop app, or mobile app?

Feel free to send me some screenshots if you have any, in order for me to get the visual too.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Dave81
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan, I never have a problem with my Dropbox desktop app. This is the only way I add new files or edit existing files. Its the Android mobile app that I have problems with. Updates or additions made on my desktop PC update my Drobox folder fine. BUT ... it is never clear if these updates have been done on my Android tablet (despite the "green tick/arrow" showing that it is in sync).  The problem is there is no indication as to what is happening on the tablet , there is no prompt to say that "Sync is in progress" or "sync is complete" If I update a file from the PC there is no way of knowing if the file on the tablet has updated......the green tick/arrow does not show this , as it stays green even tho the file is out of date. Hope this info helps. Thanks. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again, Dave!

Just to confirm, when you update your files through the Dropbox folder on your computer, do your updates appear in your account on dropbox.com as normal?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Dave81 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?