cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel files all open as corrupted files

Excel files all open as corrupted files

LeeM7879
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

I have a large amount of excel files stored in my dropbox.....

Yesterday they opened and worked ok, but today, they all generate an error when being opened which reads.....

"Excel cannot open the file '<filename>.xlsm' or <filename>.xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file"

This occurs on 4 different computers running the latest Office365 version.

Ive also tried downloading the file and then opening, but the same error message is generated.

The files also will not open in the online version of excel or the quickviewer.

We're talking about hundreds of excel files which were all working then suddenly are not.

Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Have you tried restoring to yesterday's versions? https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-older-versions

What about opening Excels from another Dropbox account or that is say emailed in to a person instead?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LeeM7879
Explorer | Level 3

In most cases, there are no restore options, as the files in question havent been opened for some time. I was able to restore a very limited amount of the files, but only the ones that were being worked on yesterday. So, in most cases, these files have been untouched but are now coming up as corrupt.

All new files that are created work ok and although i do not have access to another dropbox account, i can open excel files from other authors emailed to me.

Thank you for the response

Mark
Super User II

So, Dropbox cannot alter files - if they are appearing corrupt they were uploaded corrupt. One thing to check is that they are local versions and not online-only files, which can cause issues. To test that do they work if you open via the website or not? 

Also think of things like updates that have happened to Excel could that have updated anything?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LeeM7879
Explorer | Level 3

I understand what youre saying, which is why Im at a complete loss as to how files that were working perfectly more than a month ago, which have not been opened can all suddenly become corrupted.

The files do not open from the web, or if they are downloaded first to make them local files.

I gave some consideration that it could be an excel update, but when the same behaviour occurs on 4 different machine it becomes very perplexing.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LeeM7879 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?