cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My .docx can't be previewed when using my iPad or iPhone.Is it too long, and why is this happening?

My .docx can't be previewed when using my iPad or iPhone.Is it too long, and why is this happening?

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi everyone, sorry for the outburst, but it's absurd that an application like Dropbox has such a significant limit for those who work with word files of over 1000 pages. In my case, I have a file of about 1500 pages in word format, and the DropBox application on both the iPad and the iPhone cannot open it, but only displays a preview, which once clicked, does not allow me to see it. summary, thumbnails, nothing else, just a scroll down, between the top with overlapping writing. Reports to Dropbox are of little use because they are always ignored. It's really frustrating not being able to see the file as you want just because it has more than 1000 pages, I'll start by saying that it only weighs 15 MB, so I find it absurd.

image.jpeg

 

image.png

 

15 Replies 15

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Richardo, let's jump right into this! 

Do you notice this behavior, only with these two specific files or with others files too? 

Also, if you try to open the content using Microsoft Word and preview it there, does that work? Do you have the Word app installed locally on your iPhone & iPad? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4

First I would like to thank you for your response and I hope you will make an update that corrects this problem. The problem I mentioned is present on both iPad and iPhone, and for all types of word files with over 1000 pages. The Word application is installed on both devices and the file opens, but it is not the same as viewing it directly in the app, like on DropBox, where I am free to click on the bookmarks, open the thumbnail that interests me.

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4

The iPhone and iPad DropBox application cannot handle word files with more than 1000 pages. The preview of the file does not load, if you try to open it, it opens in a strange way as you can only scroll down, the writings are all overlapped, there are no thumbnails or bookmarks, it is a file with a horrible experience and such a limitation on Dropbox is not acceptable considering it is one of the best applications. More than an idea, it is a way to alert you to a problem. IMG_1701.jpeg

Riccardo3
New member | Level 2

I did a lot of tests losing a lot of hours. First of all, if I try to access online I get the error: .docx files are supported, but an error occurred. Having said that, I tried deleting 1 chapter at a time to see if the preview changed and therefore the file fixed itself. I delete several chapters and when I delete chapter 43, as soon as I try to save, suddenly the file opens on both the iPad and the iPhone. Without the chapter in question, we are on page 1429 and so far everything is ok. Without adding the chapter, to understand if it was a page-related problem, I started adding about 20 blank pages and the file still opens. I tried again to add one page of the chapter at a time and after adding only one page, the problem recurred, so I came to the conclusion that the problem is due to the number of words and probably not to the pages of the file. In my case, they manage to open correctly, file with approximately 502594 words, i.e. 1429 pages, 39403 paragraphs and 79680 lines. I still wonder what the point is if the official website lists 160 MB as the maximum limit for doc files, if it then cannot manage a 30 MB file , where you simply need to reach a word limit to no longer display the file correctly. This is a huge limitation because to view the file normally, I would have to convert it to PDF and then open it. This means that for every change I make to the Word file, I would have to remember to delete the old PDF and convert the Word file into a PDF file every single time for every single change, I find it really absurd and above all limited. I have given you all the information possible to investigate the problem and I hope you find a solution as soon as possible.

Noleafcloverx
New member | Level 2

I have a word document that I have uploaded to dropbox that is 1.9MB in size. It is approximately 600 pages, but I can't open it in dropbox. It tells me that "docx files are supported and we don't know what went wrong." I can open the file locally just fine using microsoft word. What's going on?

Also if I turn the document into a PDF file I can open it, but then I can't edit it...

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Noleafcloverx, and welcome to our forum!

Is there any chance the document is 190MB and not 1.9MB? If yes, then the size of the file would be the issue (the current limit is 160MB). 

If not, can you test this via a different browser/incognito mode and let me know if the same error appears? 

Finally, even if you can’t preview the file on Dropbox, there may still be an option to open and edit it. Can you check if you can do this? You can also send me a screenshot, if you prefer.

Keep me posted.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Noleafcloverx
New member | Level 2

Here is a screenshot:

Noleafcloverx_0-1718200281365.png

I've tried it on 2 different computers and also in incognito/private mode and this is the result each time:

Noleafcloverx_1-1718200374775.png

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4
Sorry, you no longer gave me an answer, much less a solution. She didn't even tell me if she reported the problem to the developers, if anything is being done to investigate the problem, nothing at all. Could you help me please? This is a big change to DropBox, it makes no sense to set a limit of 160 MB if you can't open simple 30 MB files, just because they have so many words or pages. It is obvious that your 160 MB of files are equivalent to millions of words, you had to calculate this too, otherwise what is the point of setting these limits. I would appreciate a reply, thanks.

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for reporting this. I've brought this to the attention of our engineering team who is currently investigating. We will post here when we have an update.

Regards,

Ben

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AngeloMangione Helpful | Level 5
    Richardo Explorer | Level 4
    BenDBX Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?