cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open downloaded Zip due to "Unable to expand (file name).zip into Downloads (Error 2)

Cannot open downloaded Zip due to "Unable to expand (file name).zip into Downloads (Error 2)

CKominiak
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to download photos from my photographer's Dropbox account to my external hard drive. When I try to open the Zip (which shows size 7.53GB), I receive this error:

"Unable to expand (file name).zip into Downloads (Error 2 - No such file or directory.)"

I see that many other people have this issue. How can it be resolved?

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @CKominiak, thanks for reaching out with this.

Is this zipped file saved as a zip on our website as well, or did you download a bunch of individual files, which were downloaded as zipped?

If they are individual files, do they preview correctly on our site?

And have you tried a different service to unzip them?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CKominiak
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

I figured I would make easy for you to see exactly what is going on by creating a short ~1 min. video for you.

Please see the video here: https://www.loom.com/share/260a08c8e9eb4051ba4ad4ad9e755dc7

I should add that I have had no difficulty downloading the individual files (photos) when it's just one at a time; however, I need to download the entire file, which contains hundreds of photos. This is why I'm trying to download the entire file, which downloads as a zip file, but then I cannot open the zip file.

Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @CKominiak - sorry to jump in here, but since the issue is with opening the zip file, could you try another unzipping/unarchiving utility/program than the one you originally used on your device and let us know how it goes?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

CKominiak
Explorer | Level 3

OK, I finally found a resolution to this.

1. I downloaded the "iZip" application (free), installed it on my Mac, and was able to use it to open the Zip file and to retrieve the hundreds of files within it.

2. I had no issue using the built-in tool on MAC OS to unzip the other folder, which was substantially smaller in size.

So perhaps the primary issue is that the MAC built-in tool for unzipping and opening files relates to the size of the zipped file. Using iZip solved that problem for me.

(*Note: Within iZip, I could not just move the files into another drive/folder on my Mac. I had to select all of the files by clicking on the top file, holding down shift, and then clicking on the last/bottom file. Then I was able to drop them into another folder, and that copied all of the files into the folder I wanted them to be in.)

I hope this info helps someone else. 🙂 Thanks!

cadirella
New member | Level 2
Hi everyone,
I upload zip files from my windows computer and then when I download them from dropbox to my Mac, the files do not open. It says “ unable to expand” . Do you think the files are corrupted or some thing? Is there a solution for that?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cadirella, sorry to see you're having this issue.

I moved your post to this relevant thread; can you check it out, to see if you can find any troubleshooting steps or info that will help in your case?

Cheers!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    cadirella New member | Level 2
    CKominiak Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?