cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address already taken

Email address already taken

rlloyd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My main dropbox account is linked to an old email address that I no longer use.

I have tried to change the email address to the one I use but it is already taken, by me.

I have paid for a space upgrade for Dropbox on my PC (old email address) but can't access the extra space on my lap top (new email address). I don't want to pay for another upgrade.

I think I might have to cancel both accounts completely and start again. But doing that I'll lose my upgrade?

42 Replies 42

Email change help please
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to amend my email from a personal to work email but I keep getting the message that " This email is already taken"

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

That means, as it says, you already have an account with that email. 

So, you need to log on to it by using a password reset at www.dropbox.com/forgot and either deleting the account OR changing the email on it to a different one

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dronecrasher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

i am trying to change my email address to my other email and i get a notification that my new email already exists. that is impossible. in the past (years ago) i changed my other email to the current one.. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dronecrasher, thanks for reaching out to us.

If you're getting an error that the email you're trying to use is already taken, then it definitely means that there's a Dropbox account under that address.

Have you tried logging in using that email address? You can try to reset your password, to gain access and see what kind of account it is, what files it has inside, etc.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

flowace
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You can change the email associated with your Dropbox account without losing your paid space upgrade by first changing the email on your old account (on your PC), inviting your new email to share a folder, and then changing the email on your old account (on your laptop). This way, both devices will use the same Dropbox account with the new email, and your paid space upgrade will remain intact. If you encounter any issues, consider contacting Dropbox support for assistance.

dronecrasher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Hannah I tried resetting the password with the other email which is supposedly already in use but it prompted me to create a new account

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dronecrasher, thanks for the update.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the prompt you're getting to create a new account?

Also, how did you request to reset your password?

Did you do it via the https://www.dropbox.com/forgot page or via the sign-in page?

Can you try from https://www.dropbox.com/forgot to see if you're getting the password reset email?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dronecrasher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Below is the image changing my email address where it states that the email is already in use.SCR-20231017-iwom.png

I requested to reset my password, screenshot below

SCR-20231017-ixin.png

When I try to sign in on the website with my 'already in use email' and select next 

SCR-20231017-iyad.png

it guides me through the create new account setup... so there is no email with an account in use..

SCR-20231017-iydg.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dronecrasher, sorry to jump in. 

Just to clarify, when requesting a password reset for your @me.com email address, did you actually receive one, or nothing arrived to your inbox/spam folder?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

dronecrasher
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I did not receive anything (also nothing in spam)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    dronecrasher Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?