cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No valid email address - no code

No valid email address - no code

Vaughan W
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I have a personal free account, but also worked as a mentor in a school for a few years and created an account to save school files. I recently retired and lost the email address that I used with the organisation I worked for. Up until a few months ago I could still access the school account but have since lost access to it. Is there a way of logging in without that access and changing the email address. When I attempt to log in it sends a code to the defunct email account which I cannot access. 

Regards,

VAUGHAN

17 Replies 17

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting here, @Vaughan W!

Just to clarify, you know the current password of your Dropbox account, but you’re being asked to insert a 6-digit code which is sent to the inaccessible email address, correct?

Does this happen no matter the web browser you try to access your Dropbox account from? Are you currently signed in to that account on any other devices/web browsers?

Let me know, and we can take it from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

eacolatse
New member | Level 2

I'm having the exact same issue. I have a dropbox account associated with an email account I deactivated some time ago. I have the password, but when attempting to login, it sends a six-digit code to the deactivated account. Is there anyway I can gain access to my old files?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @eacolatse, sorry to hear about this.

Is there an option to re-create the email address perhaps? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

eacolatse
New member | Level 2

Unfortunately, it's an email address associated with an old domain. So I don't think there is any easy way to reactivate email.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @eacolatse, in that case, I would suggest you open a private browsing window and go to this page.

Scroll down and choose the "can't sign in?" option and follow the prompts, to submit your help request to our support team.

Once you have your ticket number, please let us know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Vaughan W
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry for the late reply - I work a shift. No, I have 2 accounts - the one is mine for my personal use, and the other I used when working as a mentor in the school, where I saved things relating to students, and a record of who I talked to and what I did. I left that position nearly a year ago and used an email address associated with the organisation I worked for within the school. I no longer have access to that email address and so cannot access the code that is sent to verify it is me trying to sign in. Therefore I am unable to change the email address and get the files I need to access.

Vaughan W
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah, the "can't sign in" option is not there on the link you gave.

Regards

VAUGHAN

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Vaughan W, I'm afraid that without access to the email address itself, it wouldn't be possible to read this code. Is it not possible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Do you happen to have any old, connected devices to that account, in order to access the files there?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Vaughan W
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, I don't have an older device - I updated my Mac and iPhone since then. I'll see if I can get my previous employer to temporarily recreate my email address and see if that works. These files are so important and need to be archived.

Regards

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Vaughan W Explorer | Level 3
    SMWine Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?