cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Issue with Empty Account and Lost Information

Logged into my account and all my files are missing

Lazman1140
New member | Level 2

I've had a drop box subscription for a few years and at renewal, December 1st, 2022, I upgraded to DropBox Plus. Last week I had a blue-screen issue on my Desktop and took it to a repairman. He saved, documents, then (I suppose) cleared the hard drive, and then he reloaded Windows Home 10. When I got my computer back, I noticed I was missing programs - Reaper and Bluebeam. I was annoyed but not too concerned because I had purchase receipts and licenses stored in Dropbox. Then I noticed that Drop Box desktop short-cut was missing. I tried to log-in to DropBox but couldn't remember my password, so the DropBox Chat agent or bot sent me a password reset link. I used that to open DropBox, but all my files are missing. I paid a full year subscription in advance expecting secure cloud storage, but all my stored documents are gone  ... very important documents for which there are no or very limited hard copies. Does anyone know how I can recover my old account? Because it looks like my password reset started a new account.

62 Replies 62

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

In my email i have emails from dropbox before, when they notify about changes, then i have one "setting up" the new account and no more, because in the "new" account i have nothing. It is weird because i logg in with the google option so i dont even write the email. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking. Did you log in by inserting your email address at any given point, instead of using the “Sign in with Google” option?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

I dont! thank you so much for answering me 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

No problem, @Raquel7! One more thing I’d like to ask; had you linked your old Dropbox account to any other devices? Any computers, for example, where your old Dropbox folder may still be showing along with your files, or a mobile app?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

I had it in my phone, but it signed out and when i entered again it appears empty! 

I moved to a different country, could that be a reason why my account was reset?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

That shouldn’t have affected your Dropbox account or the files on it. 

At this point, I suggest getting in touch with our support team directly, so that they can look into this further. 

Please follow these steps to log a ticket with them and then, send me your ticket number here. I’ll make sure to leave them an internal note, as well.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much for your help. I can´t get in touch with support, bc when i get in the page you mentioned, it asks me to log in , and when i do it doesnt give me options 😞

Walter
Dropbox Staff

So, you're being asked to log in when you visit this page directly from an incognito window @Raquel7?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Raquel7
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, exactly

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for confirming this for me @Raquel7 

In that case, may we reach out via email to have a further look internally? 

Let us know and we'll use the email address that's linked to your profile here, on our Community. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?