cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Keyonkk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can login successfully,  but needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

Before immigration, login dropbox never needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

After immigration, it needs me to check 6-digit code in email. (same computer)

My email account was disabled (long time no use and I forgot the password), I can't login to my email to check the 6-digit code.

I only want to login Dropbox without check email 6-digit code, so what can I do?

Thanks

429 Replies 429

mairiclaire76
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

This is happening to me too. 

I have the email and password and it still wants to send a 6 digit code to the email I no longer have access to. I would like to actually retrieve the photos from this account.

How can I do this please?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its almost certain you will not be able to I'm afraid: https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/lost-email-access

Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Sign-in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @daynolism, welcome to our Community! 

The 6 digit security code is used when you access the Dropbox account from a different location for security purposes, so without access to the email linked to the Dropbox account, things might be a little tough.

We also can't send the code to a different email address, I'm afraid. 

Do you have any old, connected devices that would help you see the files in the account and download them?

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mairiclaire76, welcome to our Community!

The 6 digit security code is used when you access the Dropbox account from a different location for security purposes, so without access to the email linked to the Dropbox account, things might be a little tough.

We also can't send the code to a different email address, I'm afraid.

Do you have any old, connected devices that would help you see the files in the account and download them?

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mairiclaire76
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The email provider has closed down now so they no longer exist it was the old fsmail. They closed the whole service years ago.

I know the password though for drop box that was used with that email.

There is no old devices as all phone and laptop are new with current gmail address.

Is there any way I can get into this?. That all my daughters photos and videos gone other wise from when she was little.

Can the security be removed?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mairiclaire76, can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

I can't promise you that we will be able to do something about this, but it's worth a try. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

daynolism
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Unfortunately i dont have other devices connected to my dropbox account. I have tried everything to recover my email but no help was given to me.

LPH
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Dear all,
I'm at a loss right now. I tried to log into an old account of mine which I haven't used in at least 4 years. The login itself worked but then I'd have to enter a 6 digit code which was sent to all former connected devices which aren't in my possession anymore. Is there a way to get this code otherwise or how am I going to be able to log into my account again? Every help is much appreciated!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LPH, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

I've merged your post into a similar discussion, so feel free to have a look and let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LPH
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hello Walter,

Thanks for reaching out. Sadly this solution isn't ideal. Is it possible to receive a verification code via my phone number or to a new mail address? I still remember my login data for the account and am able to login. The only problem is the 6 digit code. But since I don't have access to the old mail address the only option is to receive the code otherwise.
I hope you can help me out with this matter. Thanks in advance.
Need more support?