cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Trey3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,
I have looked at several threads on here and have not found a good answer. I have an old Dropbox account that I lost access to back in the beginning of 2019. I lost access to it because the email associated with it no longer exists. I also know for a fact that any device that was once logged into it also does not exist. Any of those devices would be long gone.

There is no way any activity could be associated with the account, however today I went to enter the email and password, and it still proceeded to send the 6 digit code to the email that no longer exists.

Is this a thing with inactive accounts where sometimes it will still give you the option to sign in? I’m asking because at this point I just want the files to be deleted on the account, and I am not sure if that would be the case in this situation. I am not interested in gaining access to the account. I’m just concerned about my privacy because I had sensitive documents and personal information on there, and I’m hoping that maybe Dropbox still ended up deleting files, even though the option to sign in is still there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

35 Replies 35

kwatkins08
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes !  Please use the email that is listed now!  Thank you

kwatkins08
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Please "log a ticket" for me and send it  to the email address that’s linked to my forum profile!   It is an active email and I have access to it. 

Thanks,  Kathy

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Kathy! I just logged a ticket for you. Please reply back to it, when possible, and we’ll look into this.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pieter Lourens
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi I do not have access to email. I do have login password, please email me at  [Removed per the Community's Guidelines] if possible. the account that I am trying to access is [Removed per the Community's Guidelines]  I get a notification of 6 digit code on login but as I said i do not have access to the associated email. Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Pieter Lourens, let's jump right into this! 

If I understand correctly, you can't access one of your Dropbox accounts, due to the 6 digit code, going to an email address linked with that account, that you no longer have access to.

Please keep in mind that the 6 digit security code is used when you access the Dropbox account from a different location for security purposes.

Without access to the email address itself, it wouldn't be possible to read this code. Is it not possible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pieter Lourens
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I closed that domain years ago. So I do not have that domain any more.

I only have the new ones .plgroup.co.za

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Pieter L.4, I see. In this case, is it possible that you have any linked devices? 

That will allow you to locate, and download the files, as an alternative. If not, then there's not much we can do on our end, I'm afraid. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Pieter Lourens
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you

Amitkumar1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Login dropbox required email security 6-digit code but my email is inactive please help me to open my dropbox account without security code

Amitkumar1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
New update of dropbox is very bad because in login dropbox required email security 6-digit code. But my email is inactive in longer time I don't receive code I have only email or password
Please reply me and help me to open my dropbox account. In this account my personal data and personal information
Need more support?