cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Converting two Plus plans to a Family Plan

Converting two Plus plans to a Family Plan

Hallam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My other half and I are long-term Dropbox users, each with our own paid-for Personal plans. They renew at different times. Is it possible to combine our separate plans into a single Family Plan?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Hallam wrote:

Any idea how long a wait it is for the downgrade? Don't need to know exactly, but is it closer to an hour, a day, or a week?

It would happen at the next billing period.

If you were to upgrade an account today and cancel the subscription tomorrow, the subscription would continue until the next billing date (either the next month or the next year) and then the account would downgrade automatically instead of auto-renewing for a new term.

So, if the account you end up canceling is on a yearly subscription that was started one month ago, it would be 11 months before the account was downgraded back to a Basic account, and for those 11 months the account would continue to have all the benefits that were included in the subscription.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Hallam wrote:

My other half and I are long-term Dropbox users, each with our own paid-for Personal plans. They renew at different times. Is it possible to combine our separate plans into a single Family Plan?

One of you would need to change to the Family plan, and the other would need to cancel their subscription and wait until the account downgraded, and then they would be able to join the family account.

Hallam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, Rich! Really helpful. Any idea how long a wait it is for the downgrade? Don't need to know exactly, but is it closer to an hour, a day, or a week?

And regardless, really grateful for the quick response to the original question.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Hallam wrote:

Any idea how long a wait it is for the downgrade? Don't need to know exactly, but is it closer to an hour, a day, or a week?

It would happen at the next billing period.

If you were to upgrade an account today and cancel the subscription tomorrow, the subscription would continue until the next billing date (either the next month or the next year) and then the account would downgrade automatically instead of auto-renewing for a new term.

So, if the account you end up canceling is on a yearly subscription that was started one month ago, it would be 11 months before the account was downgraded back to a Basic account, and for those 11 months the account would continue to have all the benefits that were included in the subscription.

Hallam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you - that's the info I needed!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Hallam, if the other user upgraded directly via the Dropbox site, it's possible to invite them to Family plan so they can immediately join, and they'll be refunded the prorated cost of the remainder of their original plan.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Oliver10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was in the same position as Hallam and came across this post whilst looking for an answer. For anyone else with the same question - the accepted answer is not necessarily correct - as Jay mentions below, if one of you upgrades to a Family account, you can then invite the other user (using their existing Dropbox account - not creating a new account) and they should receive a pro-rata refund on their unused Plus plan.

Hallam
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Jay Thanks - that sounds much simpler, thank you!

Need more support?