cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Hi Walter, yes you are quite welcome to connect with me directly. I'm happy to talk with you because I'm very eager to resolve this problem. It seems to have thrown a monkey wrench in the regular work of a lot of people who are loyal dropbox fans! I don't know how you want to connect and since this is opposed I don't want to put up personal information publicly. What do you suggest?

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Walter, I see now you would probably simply reach out by email to my Hotmail address. That's fine.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DrVJMJ, we can only reach out to you to the address associated with your Community profile here, so I've just sent you an email and we'll continue there!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Any updates? I still cannot create a file in word app and save it to Dropbox without it turning out as read only.

Willem3
Explorer | Level 4

I resolved the problem. As far as I remember I resolved it by removing and reïnstalling the dropbox and microsoft office app. After that I selected the word app in the office app and put it in the startpage. Here I made dropbox a new location. Despite the fact that I have a glasfiber internet connection there are times that the dropbox connection is too busy. In that case I get 'read only' warnings. I resolved this bij being more patient.         

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Those steps didn't work for me. What about others on this thread? Comment if you can.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Yes Walter, all help is welcome!
🥺

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
I'm not understanding this.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone! I hope you’re all doing great. 

Just to make sure we’re all on the same page, can you let me know if you’ve already checked your Dropbox and Office365 app to see if they’re both up to date? Feel free to share the app version of your Dropbox app, as well.

Also, is this happening for all Microsoft files or specific ones that you want to save to your Dropbox account?

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
If you will go back and read my entries in the thread, and those of others, I think you'll see the problem described pretty well. I can open any old Dropbox file with the word app and work on it and save it back to Dropbox without any problem. But I cannot create a new file in the word app and save it to dropbox without it being marked as read only in word. And in fact the file never gets to Dropbox. It never actually gets saved to Dropbox though the word recent doc list shows it as a Dropbox file. No problem creating a new file in the word app and saving it to one drive or to my device. I have the most recent versions of both apps and I have uninstalled and reinstalled them multiple times.
Need more support?