cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: lost all my files

Missing Files and they aren't in recently deleted files

dnewb1580
New member | Level 2

Missing Files  After my subscription renewed today almost all (95%) of my files disappeared and are not in recently deleted files.

27 Replies 27

Rich
Super User II

@dnewb1580 wrote:

Missing Files  After my subscription renewed today almost all (95%) of my files disappeared and are not in recently deleted files.

Renewing your account doesn't (and simply can't) cause your files to go missing. Are you sure you're signed in to the correct account? If so, take a look at your Events page and see if there are any deletion events. You can also check your Deleted Files to see if your files are located there, and if they are, you can restore them if they were deleted within the last 30 days.

dnewb1580
New member | Level 2

Events and recent deletions are blank.  I did have two accounts, but Dropbox won't allow me to even access one of them.

Mark
Super User II

If events is blank then there is nothing on this account and its a new one having not been used. 

You need to go to the other one, I'd imagine, to get the files back.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4

Okay I had all my files deleted without my permission. I. have communicated before....I never even gave drop box permission to take all my files.

I have competely removed it from my computer as I DID NOT WANT TO KEEP TAKING MY FILES.Now I have just done my tax...and I do not have the records to validate things plus some important legal information.  

I tried to download the app...there was nothing in it...and it. said I  was out of space....blah blah I don't want to pay money BUT CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME GET MY DATA BACK. 

What has happened to me is really bad....the information you have provided is minimal and not proactive.  I would please like someone toadies me....will my data still be in the company as I need it...and soon. to get rewind I had to pay and that is not fair either.

Janine

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Janinec, I'd be happy to help! 

Do you by any chance refer to our Backup option? 

Have you checked into your deleted files page, for the missing files? 

Keep me posted on the results! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mel

yes I have they are ALL GONE. It would be great if you can help me.

regards

Janine

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @Janinec! Sorry to see that your files are missing.

So, they do not appear in your deleted files page at all? How about your events page?

Do you see any deletion events related to the particular files?

Have you also checked your computer's trash/recycle bin, to see if you can locate them there?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4

no they must be in the dropbox system...thats why im asking someone to help me

Mark
Super User II

@Janinec if they are not showing on your pages and you do not have another account they are not on the Dropbox system, sorry. The Dropbox system logs everything on the Events tab so if not there then its not uploaded (or has been deleted etc.).

So from looking at your other posts (linked here) you installed and told Dropbox to do backup. However, if you didnt have enough quota they wont upload to Dropbox. Then if you uninstall it and dont do it correctly they are removed locally. There is no way, at all, via Dropbox to recover those files. They have not ever existed on its servers. They didnt upload. 

The other thing to note is that, unfortunately, even if they were deleted and uploaded at some point unless, at the time you did it, you were a paid user as its now over 30 days since your deletion they are also not recoverable. Dropbox only allows for 30 days of recovery on free accounts. There is no way, at all, to extend or recover beyond that. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?