cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Some files shows 0 byte

Some files shows 0 byte

hugon
Explorer | Level 4

So I have some files showing 0 bytes on Dropbox website. Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 16.50.34.png

When I try to download individually a file, it's gonna be a 0 byte file and when I try to open it with a text editor it's empty.

When I use an app to synchronise files on Windows with the app, it still show 0 byte et and it's empty.

Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 16.53.01.png

But If I download the whole folder from dropbox website, the files have the correct size... And I can use them.
Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 16.50.48.pngScreenshot 2022-09-21 at 16.50.54.png

It's seems to be only font files for now. (I haven't checked my whole 3To of data yet).

Any ideas to fix it ?

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @hugon, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Do the files appear the same way on the Dropbox site when you use another browser?

Are these files that can only be opened on Mac devices?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Typearture
Explorer | Level 3

I ran into this same issue, when transferring files from Mac to Windows 11 (in S mode, so I believe that's the reason).

The files are all correct on the Mac side, and I can see the correct file size in the Windows inspector. Just not when downloading them.

Guess it's some kind of security issue?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Typearture! I hope you’re doing well. 

Can you please let me know how you transferred your files from your Mac device to your Windows computer? Did you use a third-party app to do this? 

Are you seeing the correct file sizes on the Mac desktop app, but not the Windows app? What do you see on www.dropbox.com?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Typearture
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Nancy 

Both machines are logged in on the same dropbox, so for my Mac I just drag them over, for the Windows machine I download them through the Dropbox-S app. In the app on the Windows machine, dropbox.com and in my Mac finder, all files are shown correctly.

It's only when I download them through the Dropbox Windows-11 S app that the fonts are set to 0 bytes.

This could be an Windows 11-S issue though, the files are probably seen as installable software (which they are in the end) and disabled. This is fixable through an upgrade, but as I need to test things in 11-S, I rather keep it this way.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Can you please right click on couple of these files, after you’ve downloaded them, and select to see their properties? 

I’d like you to send me a screenshot of what you see then, if you don’t mind.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Typearture
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy, in the meantime I have tried other methods, but to no avail. I can't even drag screenshots from my Windows machine to here to post, they are stuck at 0kb and unable to upload. I do however see nothing special in the properties: the file is set at 0kb, and there are no restrictions (owners/read-write/locked).

I expect this is some kind of read-write permission/security issue?

In the meantime I use the browser version of Dropbox, which works fine, but a bit cramped on the screen real estate.

Need more support?