cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client is asked to log-in to access my shared file

My client is asked to log-in to access my shared file

johniwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi There,

I'm trying to get files to a client urgently for a press deadline.

I shared a link to files—the usual way—and my client clicked the link from his email but he was asked to log-in. He said,

"other drop box things I get open – this requires I log in with a new password. No time."

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@johniwhite wrote:

I suspect (hope) that this is just a temporary glitch on Dropbox though.

It's not a glitch. It's the way you're sharing the file.

5fd1ab7f3770878d3c1da03462afdf95.png

If you use option 1, you're inviting someone to a file and a Dropbox account is required. It's an invitation to a specific individual, and to verify that they are who they're supposed to be, they have to sign in to an account using the same email that you used to send the invitation.

Option 2 creates a Share Link that anyone can use to access the file and a Dropbox account IS NOT required. Anyone that has the link can access the file. The ymay be prompted to create an account, but it's not necessary to access the file.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

terskelton
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the same issue. Dropbox says you can send links to folks without dropbox accounts (which I need to do). I was able to figure out (badly written instructions) how to get a link and email it but none of the folks can actually open the link, some are told they must sign in with a name and password (what name and password would dropbox be asking for?) or open a dropbox account and some were told the folder did not exist. I tried sending the links to another of my emails accounts and had the same issue.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

As long as its a link and not a shared folder with any edit functionality (as you need an account to edit files) you can do so without an account. However, you MAY get popups asking you to join Dropbox. 

Tell them to just tap X at the top right or click ESC to get rid of the dialogue box - they may need to resize screen / go to 100% if zoomed in

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

terskelton
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Mark. You write "As long as its a link and not a shared folder with any edit functionality..." but I don't really understand that. I'd guess that dropbox wouldn't give me a link except to a file that coud be accessed by others? I don't know the differnece between a shared folder with edit functionality and any other kind??

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Shared Folders require that each user accessing the folder have a Dropbox account. Likewise, if you invite a user to a file, that will require an account as well.

If you create a Share Link to a file, a Dropbox account will not be needed by the recipient, but they may be prompted to optionally join Dropbox and create an account. In such cases, they can simply close the modal that prompted them to join, and continue to the file.

johniwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the replies.

I just had a go at sharing the file (not folder) with myself at another email address, and tried to access it with the emailed link in a browser that's signed out of Dropbox—in a web browser on a desktop PC.

Yes, I'm presented with a screen saying "Join Dropbox to view this file" (ridiculous) and asking me to either:

OR
- Fill in a form to sign-up
OR
- Sign-in

(my client mustn't have noticed the 'Sign-in' links)

Anyway, those are my ONLY options. No option to skip this stuff. So, without an account, you cannot view a shared file.

This is ridulculous! I may have to sell my soul to Google and try their 'Drive' instead. Nearly everyone (more fool us) has a Google account.
John

johniwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yep, Google make it easy. No need to sign-up or sign-in to view a shared file on Google Drive.

(Google B------s)

John

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@johniwhite wrote:

It's not a glitch. It's the way you're sharing the file.

5fd1ab7f3770878d3c1da03462afdf95.png

If you use option 1, you're inviting someone to a file and a Dropbox account is required. It's an invitation to a specific individual, and to verify that they are who they're supposed to be, they have to sign in to an account using the same email that you used to send the invitation.

Option 2 creates a Share Link that anyone can use to access the file and a Dropbox account IS NOT required. Anyone that has the link can access the file. The ymay be prompted to create an account, but it's not necessary to access the file.

johniwhite
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks very much for your help Rich.

John

ArloCF
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Saying it over and over doesn't make it true.  No matter what you say, DropBox does suffer from a glitch in sharing.  Without changing a single property of the file being shared, my students were suddenly told the link was to a file that had been deleted.  I navigated to the folder, right clicked the file, got a new dropbox link, and pasted into the page.  Now any time I click that file it says sign in required.  There is no by passing it to get to the file either, it is simply prohibited from viewing until sign in.  The really stupid part (and why this is clearly a glitch) is that every other file in the same dropbox account that is linked in the same way works fine.  That is, NONE of them require any login.  It is just this one file and it has nothing to do with me sharing a folder as you keep suggesting.  I realize that may be many people's problem but you are not actually reading these replies if you keep posting the same bull**bleep** solution.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Excalibur100 New member | Level 2
    m-nakanishi New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?