cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of the red circle on the dropbox icon in my menu bar? Mac desktop app.

How to get rid of the red circle on the dropbox icon in my menu bar? Mac desktop app.

Pih
Helpful | Level 6

Whenever someone comments on a shared file in dropbox, I get a red circle on the dropbox icon in the menu bar. This interrupts my workflow and I have to get rid of this feature if I want to get any work done on my computer.

Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 12.15.50.png

I have turned off all notifications on Dropbox app and on my system preferences, but the red circle still appears. I think this is bad software development practice to circumvent system preferences (which allow you to choose which applications can show the badge app icon) by putting the red number in the menu bar (which the user has no control over).

I have now spent significant amount of time trying to find a solution to this, but I'm starting to fear it is impossible. I wish I had not updated dropbox, I have lost so much working time because of the update that introduced this red circle.

Has anyone found a way to permanently disable the red circle or to hide the dropbox icon from the menu bar completely? Is there a way to request this feature (or rather file a bug report, I can't believe the circle is there on purpose when notifications are turned off) from the dropbox dev team?

16 Replies 16

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hello @Pih, thanks for checking in and sorry to hear your frustration about this. 

Since you mention that you've turned off the option to receive notifications, could you let me know what the current notification you get is about? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Pih
Helpful | Level 6

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciated!

It happens when someone comments on a shared pdf, see screenshot:
Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 20.38.14.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Just to have a better visual of it, could you send me a screenshot showing your notification settings in your desktop app and your system preferences? 

If you have any trouble attaching an image in your next reply, just send it to me as a shared link, instead. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Pih
Helpful | Level 6

Here is the system side:
Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 22.29.44.png
Here's the Dropbox side if I turn on the notifications on system side for a second:
Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 22.30.09.png
But if system notifications are off, the Dropbox side looks like this (you can't see what is on and what is off):
Screenshot 2020-11-09 at 22.30.33.png
Hope this helps!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

At this point, due to account-specific information that would be needed to have a better look into it, I'd say to continue via ticket. 

Would it be alright if I reached out to you via email?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Pih
Helpful | Level 6

Sure! Thanks for your effort.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

No worries, @Pih!

I've sent you one, so when you have the chance, just check your inbox. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Itint
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue. For two months now there's a red circle with a 1. I've checked so many times, every single option in the menu and there's nothing. I've restarted, reinstalled and nothing gets that. This is so frustrating. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.58.40 AM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Itint, happy Thursday! 

Have you made sure that your notifications are all caught up when clicking on the Dropbox icon? 

Also, what is your app's syncing status?

Let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

peekaboo82628 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?