cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 11 won't let me open Dropbox documents that are on my hard drive (0x80070780 error)

Windows 11 won't let me open Dropbox documents that are on my hard drive (0x80070780 error)

dplam
Explorer | Level 3

Recently bought a new Dell xps with Windows 11.  I can open all Dropbox documents when going through the website but get and error message 0x80070780 when I try to open Dropbox documents that are on my hard drive.  That error message is "the file cannot be accessed by the system".  The Windows community says that it could be due to corrupted windows files but I ran all of the DISM diagnostics and found no corruption.  It said that it could also be due to not having administrator powers but I confirmed that I am the administrator and logged into that function.  I can access the files through the Dropbox app on my phone and tablet. What can I do to be able to access the Dropbox files located on my hard drive?

18 Replies 18

dplam
Explorer | Level 3

I have renamed and moved to my desktop.  I can open them and have been able to do so since saving them to desktop several weeks ago.

I also renamed several files and saved them in a new folder within Dropbox several weeks ago.  I continue to be able to open those files.

Almost all other files in Dropbox are not accessible to me via the Dropbox app but they are available through the Dropbox website.

What could possibly be the issue?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

There must be some sort of permission or third party issue on the OS profile you're working on at the moment @dplam 

Can you try creating a new OS profile and installing the desktop app there? 

Let me know if you still get the same error. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

fender7802
New member | Level 2

for anyone having problems with windows 11 make sure you right click the Dropbox icon within windows explorer and choose "Make available offline" 

Dropbox fix.png

dplam
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks but when I right click on the Dropbox icon in windows explorer, I don't get that option.  The pop out menu does not show a Dropbox icon.

Mark
Super User II

@dplam wrote:

Thanks but when I right click on the Dropbox icon in windows explorer, I don't get that option.  The pop out menu does not show a Dropbox icon.

Have you checked Drobox is running on your machine? May be worth a redownload and install: www.dropbox.com/downloading 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

schnugee
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm receiving the same exact error on  Win 10 PC. My use case is another user had DropBox, and had >90 GB of files in their C:\users\dropbox   folder. File thumbnails show up with an X in the lower left hand corner. I have reset NTFS permissions to everyone\full control, disabled inheritance, applied to sub-folders. I uninstalled and reinstalled DropBox desktop App, still no access. I'm an IT Pro with a decade plus of experience, so can provide additional technical details if necessary.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @schnugee, is this a grey X you're seeing as the sync icon? Do you have OneDrive currently installed and running on your machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

schnugee
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the response Jay. I see no indications from the Registry that OneDrive was enabled, or used by this user.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Are the files marked as available offline, or online-only?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?