cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Some photos are not automatically downloading, I have to download them manually

Some photos are not automatically downloading, I have to download them manually

Mickey F.
Helpful | Level 5

I'm uploading a large number of photos from my iPhone 13 to my Dropbox, but they aren't downloading? I have to click on each of the cloud symbols INDIVIDUALLY to finish the download.

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 4.42.23 PM.png

1. Is this something I can do in a batch operation?

2. Is there a setting for this I need to fix?

3. Why is this happening?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry for jumping in, @Mickey F.. The cloud icon you see next to your files/folders means that they’re online-only (so as to not take up hard drive space from your computer). This is why you had to click on them in order to download them (or else, make them available offline). 

Now, Hannah suggested to check your sync preferences to make sure that’s not the default setting on your desktop app. 

If you look at the top part of your computer (where your menu bar is with your clock settings), do you see a small Dropbox icon there? If yes, you can click on it and find your Sync tab this way

Please send us a screenshot of what you see there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Mickey F., thanks for reaching out to us.

Is the screenshot from your computer's Dropbox folder?

If so, can you go to the "Sync" tab in the Dropbox preferences, to see which setting you have enabled for how new files sync to the computer?

Let me know if I've misunderstood the issue or if that doesn't help!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Mickey F.
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your quick response, Hannah. Honestly, I'm a little confused about your questions and how to answer. The screenshot is from dropbox on my Mac desktop, but in searching there, in the app, and on the dropbox website, I couldn't find a preferences pane anywhere. I did, however, see the same "cloud" symbol on the folder containing these photos,  (see image) and found out that when I clicked that, it downloaded all of the enclosed photos

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 7.16.38 PM.png

So, questions still remain: where can I find preferences to look for the syncing options, and why do these photos need to be clicked on to download, rather than automatically downloading?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry for jumping in, @Mickey F.. The cloud icon you see next to your files/folders means that they’re online-only (so as to not take up hard drive space from your computer). This is why you had to click on them in order to download them (or else, make them available offline). 

Now, Hannah suggested to check your sync preferences to make sure that’s not the default setting on your desktop app. 

If you look at the top part of your computer (where your menu bar is with your clock settings), do you see a small Dropbox icon there? If yes, you can click on it and find your Sync tab this way

Please send us a screenshot of what you see there.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Mickey F.
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you all for your help with my issue. I’m now clear on whether or not I want to keep files in the cloud on dropbox, or download them, and how to sync them as I wish.

appreciate the help!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

My pleasure, @Mickey F.! Feel free to give me a nudge, if you need something else.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?