cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Key Command/Shortcut to "Copy Dropbox Link" from Mac Finder.

Key Command/Shortcut to "Copy Dropbox Link" from Mac Finder.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I copy download links all day from the Mac Finder. It would be great to assign a key command so that you can highlight a file in your Dropbox via Mac Finder, and press a key command to copy the link instead of right clicking.

67 Replies 67

dhermanq
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Gene_Parmesanthe update did the trick! Thank you!!

Gene_Parmesan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

The method sharing_create_shared_link has a pending_upload argument which you can use to ask Dropbox to generate a url for a file or folder which is still in the process of being uploaded. If you do this and then use the link before the file is fully uploaded, you see a nice "This file cannot be previewed" UI, showing a zero-byte file. Once the file upload is complete, you can use the URL to share as you would any other generated URL.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 12.44.18.jpeg

This is fine, but sharing_create_shared_link is supposedly deprecated and has been replaced by sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings. (I say "supposedly," beacuse the Python documentation says nothing about this. You have to call the method with the appropriate log level. In fact, I'm not even seeing the warning in my testing, it just succeeds for me. The warning in the code is 7 years old. If the method really is deprecated, it's not clear to me why the documentation doesn't say so.) Anyway, this second method doesn't have a pending_upload argument, or any equivalent that I can find in the SharedLinkSettings struct which you can pass to it.

It's been suggested that the solution is to upload a dummy file, get the link, and then upload the full file as a second step. However, I'm not doing any file uploading at all, I'm just getting the shared link of a file which might sometimes be mid-upload. (I expect that this upload is usually being managed by the Dropbox desktop app.) So this isn't an option. Using the pending_upload=PendingUploadMode.file works perfectly with the "deprecated" method, but I don't know how long it will continue to work.

I'd really appreciate some insight into what's up with sharing_create_shared_link and how to get links to pending uploads if indeed the method will eventually go away.

Gene_Parmesan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I am not doing any uploading, I'm only getting shared links. Oddly, the docs don't list this method as deprecated, it's just a warning that is supposed to be printed when you call it.  (But I'm not seeing it for some reason, I only noticed it because I looked at the code!) And it's been "deprecated" for 7 years now.

Anyway, the whole thing is a bit perplexing, so I've opened a new thread about it.

As for the "new links" concept, I'd appreciate a pointer to some documentation on what this means. I don't know what change you're referring to, since I'm far from a Dropbox expert.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Gene_Parmesan wrote:

I am not doing any uploading, I'm only getting shared links. ...

Yes, and it's the initial idea, of course. The deprecated method (on behalf corresponding access point) makes on dummy upload for you. On the same place you can see the method deprecation, explicitly pointed out. The official documentation is automatically generated and that's why some of the details may miss. How long particular things can stay deprecated... good question, but rarely defined; here undefined yet at least. Probably defined on how many particular access point is still in use and usually least a year.

@Gene_Parmesan wrote:

As for the "new links" concept, I'd appreciate a pointer to some documentation on what this means. I don't know what change you're referring to, since I'm far from a Dropbox expert.

You can see some more info on the thread here. As always documentation lags in time. 🤷

Gene_Parmesan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I can no longer see the new post I created with more information and asking for insight from (hopefully) Dropbox staff about sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings. The topic doesn't appear in the forum where I posted it, and clicking the title in my profile just sends me here. Do you know why this might be happening @Здравко ?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Gene_Parmesan wrote:

... Do you know why this might be happening @Здравко ?

Seems the 2 threads joined by Dropbox staff. They have found them too similar, probably.

wilcoxaj
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed! Anyone aware of a solution to do this with Windows?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@wilcoxaj wrote:

... a solution to do this with Windows?

Take a look here for a version that works on Windows too.

Need more support?