cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Key Command/Shortcut to "Copy Dropbox Link" from Mac Finder.

Key Command/Shortcut to "Copy Dropbox Link" from Mac Finder.

Justin P.2
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I copy download links all day from the Mac Finder. It would be great to assign a key command so that you can highlight a file in your Dropbox via Mac Finder, and press a key command to copy the link instead of right clicking.

67 Replies 67

Gene_Parmesan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Update (2023-01-17)

I've moved the script to a repository and expanded on the instructions.

I wanted this now, so I wrote a Python script to get the URL from the command line and created an Automator QuickAction that calls the script with the selected file(s) in Finder:

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 21.51.12.png

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 21.52.22.png

Now, ^āŒ˜L copies the Dropbox URL of any number of files selected in the Dropbox folder.

Powlow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Keyboard shortcuts and touchbar integration would really be a big improvement

DavidW2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Gene_Parmesan thanks for creating that script - I did all the steps but it results in error when I run it - any thoughts or can you help!? 

Gene_Parmesan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Possibly, but I'd need to see the error.

dhermanq
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Gene_Parmesan I've been searching all over for something like this -- thank you!! I've followed all the steps in your screenshots and GitHub, but I'm getting the following error when I run the Quick Action: "ERROR: file isn't in the Dropbox folder". I see where this error is returned in your code, but I'm not fluent enough to understand what causes it. Any thoughts?

DavidW2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Gene_Parmesan perhaps you could give us non-coders a step-by-step how to implement your solution? 

Gene_Parmesan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

My guess is that your Dropbox folder is not at ~/Dropbox. I've changed the script to fetch the path of the Dropbox folder in your home directory from ~/.dropbox/info.json. However, there can be two paths there: one for personal Dropbox accounts and one for business accounts. The script only looks for personal accounts, but you can change that to 'business' on line 42 if necessary. (See more about info.json.) You need to use the account which the TOKEN is attached to.

I've also added a more descriptive error message when the path calculation fails. Hopefully that will give you enough clues as to what has gone wrong. Let me know if it works now!

dhermanq
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Gene_Parmesan I use a Dropbox business account, and changing 'personal' to 'business' on line 42 did the trick! I've been dreaming of this functionality for a long time -- thank you!!!

Gene_Parmesan
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Great to hear! I've tweaked the script slightly to call out the personal/business dichotomy more clearly, and updated my earlier comment to take account of the new line numbers. Enjoy your new Finder keyboard command! šŸ˜„

alex1823
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I would die to know how to create this shortcut for Windows!!!

Need more support?