cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't download a shared link to a folder from the site as it's too large to download

I can't download a shared link to a folder from the site as it's too large to download

123fqwer2e3
New member | Level 2

Hello, I received a download link from a company but the download FAILS with german error message ""Der Ordner ist zu groß, um ihn herunterzuladen.""

After installing the Dropbox client for Windows 11 I get an error message: "Das hat aus irgendeinem Grund nicht funktioniert
Wenn es sich um ein vorübergehendes Problem handelt, kann eine Aktualisierung der Seite das Problem lösen. Oder bitten Sie uns einfach um Hilfe."

It is not possible at all to download the files.

6 Replies 6

123fqwer2e3
New member | Level 2

I need product support within 1 hour - otherwise I will just delete the Dropbox account and switch to another product, thank you very much

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @123fqwer2e3, thanks for messaging the Community.

As it sounds like the folder is too large to download on the Dropbox site, have you tried adding it to your own Dropbox account, if you have enough quota on your plan? Could you try switching browsers to see if this helps?

Regarding the Dropbox desktop application, If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@123fqwer2e3 wrote:

Hello, I received a download link from a company but the download FAILS with german error message ""Der Ordner ist zu groß, um ihn herunterzuladen.""

Hi @123fqwer2e3,

There are 2 limits that if exceeded would result in such error. Linked folder contains more than 250GB content total. Files number is more than 10 000. Any of this limitations (or both) would result in that message. You can try download the content in pieces - every piece (subfolder) should fit in the mentioned limits.

Good luck.

123fqwer2e3
New member | Level 2

Thanks,

I installed the Windows 10 app to solve this problem - but there is still this new error message.

So your solution does not solve the problem, unfortunately.

But the limits are actually not hit completely: There only 7GB of files (but the amount of files is just around 20k).

There are a lot of subfolders so I cannot download in pieces.

Best solution would be, that the Windows 11 app works, but it does not work.

123fqwer2e3
New member | Level 2

I only have 2GB of quota.

But the company has a Dropbox Bussiness account, so I guess it should be possible to download 8GB of files without any problems? They already paid for multiple TeraBytes.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@123fqwer2e3, When download directly, your account size shouldn't affect the process (you're no using it actually). Take a look here  - the script there may help you if you use Mac or Linux.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    123fqwer2e3 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?