cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver download file only downloads a PDF, not the driver.

Driver download file only downloads a PDF, not the driver.

JARtistry
Explorer | Level 4

I purchased a Bluetooth USB adapter. It would not install and kept making PC crash. Found a URL that was supposed to take me to a download site. For some reason, it sent me to Dropbox. The options to download are there, and the word "driver" is mentioned, but the only thing I could download was a PDF, not the actual driver. has anyone run across this problem? I am pasting the URL below. Including some info about the product in case someone is familiar with this. (The link to "how to" on YouTube was worthless.) P.S. I'm new, so bear with my over/under amount of info. Thanks!

• BLUETOOTH TRANSMITTER. Bluetooth 4.0 enables your PC to wirelessly connect with Bluetooth devices(such as smart phone, ipad, tablet, speaker, headset, keyboard, mouse, printer, projector,etc.) for data transfer,edit or print, up to 10m connection distance(ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 7/8/8.1/10)
  • COMPACT DESIGN. Compatible with any WiFi routers, stylish and mini design, a CD Driver included and built in flexible powerful antenna, 50m long range WiFi Receive indoor, up to 150m in open place. Perfect for home and office, easy and convenient to carry
  •  
  •  
  • TECH SUPPORT. A disc driver included. Video to install the driver: [link removed as per Community Guidelines]. You can also download the driver here: [link removed as per Community Guidelines]

4 Replies 4

Arandur
Collaborator | Level 8

Hey JARtistry
It seems to work fine to me, I can see the .exe files and no PDF ones.

That being said this video is very sketchy and I wouldnt trust a random video with almost no views and no comments, even more to put a .exe file from them on my PC.

Either way its your choice, but the dropbox folder seem to be working fine.

Hope to have been of help,

Take care ❤️

JARtistry
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Arandur,

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, either I've suddenly become the world's dumbest person, or I'm missing something. I have been able to download a ".rar" file, which only wants to open with Adobe Reader, which doesn't make sense. But I tried, and got an error message saying the file could not be opened by Adobe Reader because it is corrupt.

When I open the "driver" folder at the download point, I see many, many files listed. There are some ".exe" files, which is probably what I'm looking for, so why that complete folder doesn't download is beyond me. It seems strange that you had success dowloading the file, but I don't. Is it common for vendors to direct people to Dropbox to get the files that make their product work? Not blaming Dropbox, just a question.

If you've got any ideas, please send them. Thanks again!

JARtistry

Arandur
Collaborator | Level 8

No it's very uncommon, that's why I told you not to trust it!

That being said I could be wrong and the file could be totally fine, it' just a little sketchy.

Can't help much other than that tho 😞

Hope you driver works buddy!

Take care ❤️
Also if you could please like/or pick my answers as solutions I would appreciate it a lot since I'm in much need of more storage space!

JARtistry
Explorer | Level 4
I guess my main point was misunderstood. The "how-to" video was a completely different link than the one to download the driver. So the video had no relevance to the actual problem. All I could download from the DropBox link was a PDF ,rar folder which would not open because of a "corrupt" error. I never had access to any files that might have been in the folder. This is not Drop Box's fault, since the driver link was downloaded to the site by an obviously shady vendor. What confused me was that you said you had no trouble opening the link and everything looked ok. I could see the other files and their misc extensions listed in the folder, but they were inaccessible. So I think we both saw the same thing, and that's what looked normal to you. It doesn't matter at this point because I bought another adapter that, so far, actually works! Does DropBox have any way to filter out vendors who use it as a download point instead of providing a vendor URL? This could have been a disaster if I had been able to download and open a folder labeled "corrupt". I think we can call this a "case closed"! Thanks again for your interest.
Also: is there a "how to" area on the site? I have an old version and want to update it.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JARtistry Explorer | Level 4
    Arandur Collaborator | Level 8
What do Dropbox user levels mean?