cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing into a different account on my computer

Signing into a different account on my computer

garrettwperkins
New member | Level 2

I need to sign into a different Dropbox account on my computer, but there are a lot of files and they will all be the same on the new account. I need to be able to switch accounts and keep the old files on the computer (instead of having to download them again on the new account).

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @garrettwperkins; welcome aboard and thanks for using Dropbox!

In this case, I'd suggest sharing a folder from your one account to the other with all the files you'd like to be on both accounts. 

From there, you'll need to unlink the account you've already linked to your computer through the app's preferences and, then, link the new one.

Follow these steps to unlink a computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. Quit!

You can now safely move or delete files in the Dropbox folder and not affect anything else.

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there so if you relink to a different Dropbox account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sceolang2
New member | Level 2

I made a Dropbox account years ago with a now defunct email address and I have forgotten the password. I want to delete this account (but can't because I can't remember the password). I have a new account with my current email address (that's fine) but when I download the desktop app (Mac) it defaults to the old account I want to delete. Any suggestions welcomed.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Sceolang2, let's see what we can do here! 

I've merged you into this thread, since your query was similar to the one above. 

Could you try Walter's steps in order to sign out of your old account on your app? 

Let me know how it goes.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Sceolang2 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?