cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Can’t load this file type This file type is unsupported here.' on Windows

'Can’t load this file type This file type is unsupported here.' on Windows

williamb11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have Dropbox installed on 3 computers, desktop A and laptops B and C, all running Windows 10, 64 bit. I use, for preference as it was installed on my first computer, the Lotus SmartSuite Office program, now version 9.8.2 (its last version), which works perfectly in Windows 10 and provides Lotus WordPro, Lotus 1-2-3 Spreadsheet, Lotus Organizer, Lotus Approach &c. I also use, occasionally, various bits of MS Office 365. I can upload files from both Lotus and MS Office, together with pdfs and jpgs, &c, from all three computers onto my Dropbox folders.

But when I open a Lotus file - WordPro or another - in Dropbox on desktop A or laptop B - I get the message

'Can’t load this file type This file type is unsupported here.'

and I have to click to download the file to edit it. All the other non-Lotus files in the folder open without a problem. The odd thing is that when I click to open a Lotus file in the same Dropbox folder on laptop C, it opens first time without my having to download it first.

Can anyone explain this, please?

Thanks in advance,

williamb11

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

williamb11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you both for your help - it's much appreciated.

williamb11

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@williamb11 wrote:

... The odd thing is that when I click to open a Lotus file in the same Dropbox folder on laptop C, it opens first time without my having to download it first.

Can anyone explain this, please?

Hi @williamb11,

It's simple - you don't need to download something that's already there. 😉 On others you need since it's not yet there. If you ask why doesn't it get downloaded automatically,... cause it's "Smart" Sync (especially in quotes). So so,... "smart"... 🤦

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @williamb11, thanks for messaging the Community!

Just for clarification, is this an error message on the Dropbox site, or a Windows error?

A screenshot showing this information would help greatly!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

williamb11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Screenshot attached -Screenshot.jpg

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@williamb11, Don't mix preview (that what you screenshot shows) and open. Such type of files will never preview on any machine in any browser - Dropbox just doesn't support preview for all files.

Hope this sheds some light.

williamb11
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you both for your help - it's much appreciated.

williamb11

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

williamb11 Helpful | Level 6
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?