cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Says I’m maxed out on storage, but I’m not…

Says I’m maxed out on storage, but I’m not…

wamsender
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have 18.25 gigs available that I got for free from several people signing up for a Dropbox account through me. I deleted 90% of everything…and permanently deleted…and it still shows maxed out and now I can’t upload anything else. Help?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wamsender wrote:

Can I delete my backup? That seems to be the problem...???

As mentioned on Saturday, you have the backup feature enabled. Refer to the following links to learn how to manage your backups.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wamsender wrote:
I deleted 90% of everything…and permanently deleted…and it still shows maxed out and now I can’t upload anything else.

Checked your Backups page? Also note that you don't need to permanently delete files. Simply deleting them is enough to recover space.

wamsender
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I already did all that. Still shows maxed out

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wamsender, let's jump right into this! 

I'd love to have a visual of your plan page and what it reports in terms of your account's quota. Would you mind sending over a screenshot, please? 

Keep us posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

louvetemilie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Megan

Similar problem here: I have 4.75GB with Dropbox, and Dropbox (online) tells me I'm using 4.6GB (see screenshot).

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 20.05.42.png

However, when I check the space used on disk, I only see it at 2GB (see second screenshot of du -sh Dropbox at the commandline):

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 20.09.13.png

Why would Dropbox (app and online) consider my usage at 4.6GB when there are only 2GB of data in my Dropbox folder?

EDIT: no backups either:

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 20.11.46.png

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Your shared files are using up the space as you can see on the graph.

Now its possible they are not syncing to the machine (Selective Sync in use or possibly set to Online Only?)

So, don't use the computer for size estimates - it isn't accurate at all (there is also a hidden cache). 

Everything you see at www.dropbox.com/home uses space though

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

louvetemilie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Mark for your response.

Without intending to be rude, I feel I need to correct you:

• The disk space usage as reported on the device is accurate and correct (2GB in my case)
    • I'm not aware of myself or my husband using Selective Sync or Online Only, so I'm not sure why the files are not synced on my device
  • However, all the files in the shared folder that are present on the other device (my husband's device and account) are present and take up space in my online Dropbox shared folder...
    • In my case (my husband just checked), indeed the other device had 4.6GB of data in that shared folder!
    • That is the explanation for the size reported by Dropbox

The solution for me was simply to ask my husband to remove the excessive data from the shared folder on the other device, which brought down the load on my account.

My issue is now resolved. Hopefully this post will help others with similar problems, and maybe the original poster on this thread!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@louvetemilie wrote:

Without intending to be rude, I feel I need to correct you:

• The disk space usage as reported on the device is accurate and correct (2GB in my case)
    • I'm not aware of myself or my husband using Selective Sync or Online Only, so I'm not sure why the files are not synced on my device

If the space usage on your device is accurate, then you weren't syncing all of the files from your account.

If the shared folder in your account had 4.6GB of data in it, and the folder was visible in your local Dropbox folder, then either some files were marked as Online-only or some folders within it were removed using Selective Sync (or there's something preventing them from syncing, such as a bad file name). Otherwise your local folder would have had 4.6GB of data in it.

wamsender
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There's almost nothing left in my folders. Some of them are empty. I deleted 90% of what was there. I got the extra gigs from people signing up with Dropbox through me several years ago. Do I need to disconnect devices, or something???

IMG_0363.PNGIMG_0361.PNGIMG_0362.PNG

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wamsender, thanks for the info! 

It seems you accessed your account page on your mobile. However, in order to see a clearer breakdown of what's taking up space for your account, you might want to visit your plan page online as found here

It could be an active Backup, or some shared folders even. 

Would you mind giving this a go? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wamsender Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?