cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Google blocking Dropbox when trying to open an Excel file?

Why is Google blocking Dropbox when trying to open an Excel file?

Yaniv_a
Explorer | Level 3

Access blocked: Dropbox’s request does not comply with Google’s policies

****@gmail.com
Dropbox’s request does not comply with Google’s ”Use secure browsers” policy. If this app has a website, you can open a web browser and try signing in from there. If you are attempting to access a wireless network, please follow these instructions.
You can also contact the developer to let them know their app must comply with Google’s ”Use secure browsers” policy.
Learn more about this error
If you are a developer of Dropbox, see error details.
Error 403: disallowed_useragent

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@Yaniv_a wrote:
Access blocked: Dropbox’s request does not comply with Google’s policies ... Error 403: disallowed_useragent

Google doesn't appear to be blocking Dropbox. It looks like it's specifically blocking whatever browser or software you're using while trying to sign in to Dropbox. What browser, software or device are you making this request on?

Yaniv_a
Explorer | Level 3
I'm trying to open an excel file which is saved in Dropbox with Microsoft excel. It's asking for A user. It's only appears while trying to do it through Dropbox.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Yaniv_a, could you attach a screenshot showing this message you're getting?

Additionally, could you try switching browsers to see if this helps?

Otherwise, you can try using incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Brangus2001
New member | Level 2

New phone and attempting to link my Dropbox to Excel mobile on Android (Pixel 8).  When I try to open a spreadsheet into Excel, I'm prompted to integrate by entering in my Google account information.  I can see that there are other posts late last year where this was seen but was marked as resolved.

Once I enter in my information and verify using MFA, I receive an "Error 403: disallowed_useragent" response that states:
"Access blocked: Dropbox's request does not comply with Google's policies.

Dropbox's request does not comply with Google's 'Use secure browsers' policy.  If this app has a website you can open a web browser and try signing in from there.  If you are attempting to access a wireless network, please follow these instructions..."

Screenshot_20240714-121802.png

I have accessed Dropbox's website directly from Chrome and it authenticated without issue but the error still presents itself when accessing Dropbox via Excel.  Any help would be appreciated.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brangus2001. Are you trying to sign in to the Excel app with the same email address you’ve used for your Dropbox account? 

Have you also been in touch with Microsoft support, as per their post here?

Feel free to try this suggestion too in the meantime, and let me know if it works for you.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pete18
New member | Level 2
People not reading the OP properly - the issue is with the App not complying with Google's ' Use secure browsers' policy. Is there a workaround for this without going to a browser or an update to App planned?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Pete18 New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Brangus2001 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Yaniv_a Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?