cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ** WARNING! SCAM EMAIL! **

Is the email: em-s.dropbox.com legitimate? [Answer: Yes]

Graham-7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have received an e-mail telling me of a new document available for me in Dropbox. The e-mail is from an address that ends with " em-s.dropbox.com ". Can anybody confirm that " em-s. " is a valid adjunct to " dropbox.com ", or is it sooner a trick?

Thank you.

122 Replies 122

Elizabeth34
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I got the same message and was in a similar situation and am waiting on something from a job I'm applying to and hoping to get and needed to know if it was something from them regarding the interview. I checked my Dropbox first before clicking it. The link did also take me to my account. Nothing but old notifications, though. Maybe just a glitch since it seems to have happened to several of us today.

AK33
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I’d appreciate it if we were able to forward this email to Dropbox support and/or confirm it was actually sent from the Dropbox team. A preview of the link looks as though there’s a redirect happening in the URL that leads to a sign in page- even though I’m signed in already. In the meantime, leaving this as issue marked as “Accepted Solution” is misleading and a potential security risk.

Glenn12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have also received this email in the last hour... same text and no file when I log in to Dropbox.

DavidZ1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Received the same email a few hours ago.

My google search brought me here as i was concerned it was a scam - no new files in my dropbox.

Very odd...

dropbox ss.png

alissiee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Okay, so I got the exact same email (Aug 24, 7:04pm Eastern) and that's how I've ended up here. How is there an email where the staff's answer is that it's both a totally legitimate Dropbox email AND a scam that we shouldn't click on? This is why we need to be able to be able to contact support. I didn't even know that I couldn't send an email or chat with a bot without paying for one of the premium plans at this point. It's absurd with the amount of our data the company has. This is really when you know to leave-- there's no way to contact someone about problems, and no way to tell problems from everything going as planned. And if it was a scam, since we're not subscribers, how could we even report it? Yeeeah.

scotpansing
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same exact email for me, no new files.  

ahr01
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I received a message from Dropbox 0316 BST reading (italics added) - 

Hi Adrian,

Just a heads-up – you've got a shared file waiting for you. Click the button below to check it out whenever you're ready!

There is no new shared file, just one I knew about from months ago.  What am I missing? Is there a technical thing I'm not picking up on (I'm a relatively unsophisticated user but have used Dropbox pretty often over years)? Was it a way for Dropbox to encourage me to use their services and pay for a subscription? Other?

Thanks!

HBC1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Exact same email here I accessed Dropbox independently (i.e. without using the link in the email) and there was nothing there.

KMCAD
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've got the same message, would like to know if this is phising?

AndrejMK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. Judging by your comments, it's definitely a glitch, a weird glitch.

Need more support?