cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the email: em-s.dropbox.com legitimate? [Answer: Yes]

Is the email: em-s.dropbox.com legitimate? [Answer: Yes]

Graham-7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have received an e-mail telling me of a new document available for me in Dropbox. The e-mail is from an address that ends with " em-s.dropbox.com ". Can anybody confirm that " em-s. " is a valid adjunct to " dropbox.com ", or is it sooner a trick?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi Everybody,

I can confirm that these emails were sent from the Dropbox domain and are not harmful. This is one of the official domains Dropbox uses to send out emails. You can find the full list of domains here: https://help.dropbox.com/security/official-domains

You can safely ignore them, though there was no negative impact to your account if you did click through the emails. You should not receive anymore emails of this type.

Regards,

Ben

View solution in original post

122 Replies 122

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Graham-7 wrote:

I have received an e-mail telling me of a new document available for me in Dropbox. The e-mail is from an address that ends with " em-s.dropbox.com ". Can anybody confirm that " em-s. " is a valid adjunct to " dropbox.com ", or is it sooner a trick?

Thank you.

Yes it is 🙂

https://help.dropbox.com/security/official-domains

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Graham-7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

They don't half keep us on our toes, eh? Thank you (I assume the "Yes" means it's a trick).

Graham-7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Now I'm back and I see I misconstrued your (ambiguous) answer: lesson - I must never ask a question in the form of two, contrary, closed questions.

Fine, it's legit. Except it's not legit. The information that there was a new document for me was nonsense. There is no such document for me. So, I wonder why Dropbox decided to tell me there was. Telling me there is a document when there isn't a document sounds like phishing, whichever way you put it.

The list of accepted Dropbox domain names is dizzying in its length. Whilst I have every understanding that Dropbox organises its domains and its online and offline structure as it sees fit, would recognition of the "scam" as an ever-present phenomenon that has been with us since the day and hour  one guy realised he could copy another guy's signature not suggest that a dizzying array of domain names makes the feasibility of creatively inventing a new one in order to fox and beguile the unwary - who needn't as a result be all that unwary in order to get caught out  - all the more possible? The more you have, the more you can feasibly have.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Graham-7, in order to understand if it's official or not, could you attach a screenshot showing the exact email you received?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SausageRoll111
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, 

I was checking my emails and came across an email from dropbox, the email body looks 100% legit no spelling mistakes no numbers either, but the address looks questionable, the email is no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com. The email subject is "top strategies to maximize your potential", the email body seems to be about dropbox cloud storage (for free), exercise for 20 minutes, free password manager and turning on camera uploads if that's any help to anyone. 

I've tried searching here and I've tried searching the email address on google but haven't found anything on it, so I'm wondering if it's legit before I end up blocking the email. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SausageRoll111, I'd be more than happy to help! 

If you take a look at this Help Center article about the official Dropbox domains, you'll see that em-s.dropbox.com is an official Dropbox domain. 

Therefore, the informative email seems to be coming from us, indeed.

I hope this helps!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

cosmodoc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I’ve just received a scam mail from this email address no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cosmodoc, thanks for letting us know about this.

The em-s.dropbox.com domain is actually one of our official Dropbox domains; what's the email you received about?

Can you send us a screenshot?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

EatSteve
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received an email from 'no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com' telling me my 2TB account was full, and providing links for getting more space. In reality, I am only using 25% of my space, so confusing why I got this – along with a moment of panic, wondering what I was backing up by accident... anyone else has anything like this?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    NickKon New member | Level 2
    Nick K.19 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?