cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ** WARNING! SCAM EMAIL! **

Is the email: em-s.dropbox.com legitimate? [Answer: Yes]

Graham-7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have received an e-mail telling me of a new document available for me in Dropbox. The e-mail is from an address that ends with " em-s.dropbox.com ". Can anybody confirm that " em-s. " is a valid adjunct to " dropbox.com ", or is it sooner a trick?

Thank you.

122 Replies 122

Ynk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I got the following email:

Ynk_0-1692458578438.png

Its from <no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com> and it came into my priority folder. It's fake right?

Thanks in advance

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Ynk, welcome to our Community! 

It seems, based on your screenshot, that the email is coming from an official Dropbox domain, it is therefore valid. You can see more about this here.

If you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rockzilla2520
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I received an email notification that there was a "Shared File waiting for you". When I went to click on it, it was a file shared with me from 2020. Is there a reason I would've received that notice today about it?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @rockzilla2520, thanks for dropping by our Community!

Did you ever access this shared file in the past, since it was first shared with you?

Let us know more information and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

scarbleu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

"no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com

If anyone receives this email, DO NOT OPEN! It is a scam email trying to get you to click on the link - message states "Just a heads-up - you've got a shared file waiting for you. Click the buttom below to check it out whenever you're ready!"

Al_Simmons
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just received an email with the subject heading "Files shared with you". The body of the email says:  "Just a heads-up – you've got a shared file waiting for you. Click the button below to check it out whenever you're ready!"

The email doesn't say who the file is from. The email seems like it's from no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com, and if it really is, then I know the email is legit at least. But when I got to my actual dropbox account, I can't see any new files or folders shared with me. I don't want to click on the link in the email, but I don't know any other way to verify whether this is legit or not. I would normally just delete this and not worry about it, but this may be from a couple different clients I'm working with, and there are a number of different reasons that I don't want to reach out to them to ask if this is from them.

Is there a way to determine if the email is 100% legit? Why doesn't it say who the shared file is from? If it's legit, why can't I see it under the "Shared" folder of my dropbox.com account? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @scarbleu@Al_Simmons , I just wanted to mention that this email seems legit since this is an official domain of Dropbox in the email you received. I just received the exact same email notification to be completely honest. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Had this through also. Clicked the link carelessly and directed me to official dropbox site I was already logged in to. Hope therefore it was legit.

perogie1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just received an email from dropbox saying...

"Just a heads-up – you've got a shared file waiting for you. Click the button below to check it out whenever you're ready!"

It appears to be from a legit drop box email, but I find it odd that there is no other information such as who the sender is.

Is the only way to get more info about this mystery file to just login and check it out?

Al_Simmons
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for replying. I have no idea what the files are that have been shared. The email gives me no information about what what shared or when. Should the email contain identifying information? 

Need more support?