cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 6 digit security code NOT RECEIVED

I can't receive my 6-digit security code.

Jim P.37
Helpful | Level 5

Hello DROPBOX ~
I am not able to receive the 6 digit code in my email!!
Upon attempting to login today, you claim you have sent a 6 digit code to my email.
• I've added no-reply@dropbox.com to my contacts.

• I've checked my spam folder. 

• I've verified my address is correct. Indeed, your own words on the page show my email address
• I've clicked "resend" several times.
• Upon reading, this problem happens to several people and is recurring.
• Your chat bot asks for a phone number... I do not have a phone number associated with this account!
• I never sent up 2-factor authentification in the first place.

PLEASE HELP ME!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jim P.37
Helpful | Level 5

Well, I got in! 
However, this thread did NOT help. Nor did I hear from Megan ever again. 
The massive amount of TIME and READING I spent on this was incredible, simply b/c Dropbox could not, (or would not) send my email a 6 digit code. Even though I had my user name , email and password all correct. (Were they punishing me b/c the last time I logged in was December 2023?! Who knows?)

Here's what I did: I somehow navigated to the help section without logging in and just kept asking the CHAT how to contact Dropbox when I can't login. Finally, I claimed my account needed to be "reactivated" (this apparently was the key wording) and I got to a place where I could create a ticket, explaining the situation and inputting my email in the description.
I created the new ticket at 8:09AM (again after a full day of reading and "asking the community" etc etc.
I got an email message right away that they received my ticket and someone would be in touch. (Totally no problem sending me THAT email!!) They added this advice: "In the meantime, have you checked out our Help Center for FAQs, how-to articles and more?" ~ How annoying! What am I , a child?
AT 4:45PM, "Poppy" sends me an email = "My name is Poppy, and I am more than happy to assist you.
From my understanding, you are experiencing issues trying to access your Dropbox account as you are not receiving the email with the one-time code."

Poppy further explained that a separate email from login-support@dropbox.com included a "reset password link" that I should try.

Indeed, I did use that link, reset my password and got in!
Zero explanation as to why I could not get an automatic email sent to me, ...zero warning, zero info on what I've done wrong to deserve this TRUCK-LOAD of work and time just to get into my files.

SHEESH! I wish any of you better luck!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jim P.37
Helpful | Level 5

One of the issues may be that your system may "think" it's sending the 6 digit code to a phone! HOWEVER, I don't have a phone associated with the account! It's supposed to be sending to my email!!!
Screen Shot 2024-05-19 at 11.19.52 PM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jim P.37, no worries, I'm here to help! 

I just sent you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this.

I'll see you there, thanks! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jim P.37
Helpful | Level 5

Ok, I replied to your email. And now, also replied here.

Jim P.37
Helpful | Level 5

Well, I got in! 
However, this thread did NOT help. Nor did I hear from Megan ever again. 
The massive amount of TIME and READING I spent on this was incredible, simply b/c Dropbox could not, (or would not) send my email a 6 digit code. Even though I had my user name , email and password all correct. (Were they punishing me b/c the last time I logged in was December 2023?! Who knows?)

Here's what I did: I somehow navigated to the help section without logging in and just kept asking the CHAT how to contact Dropbox when I can't login. Finally, I claimed my account needed to be "reactivated" (this apparently was the key wording) and I got to a place where I could create a ticket, explaining the situation and inputting my email in the description.
I created the new ticket at 8:09AM (again after a full day of reading and "asking the community" etc etc.
I got an email message right away that they received my ticket and someone would be in touch. (Totally no problem sending me THAT email!!) They added this advice: "In the meantime, have you checked out our Help Center for FAQs, how-to articles and more?" ~ How annoying! What am I , a child?
AT 4:45PM, "Poppy" sends me an email = "My name is Poppy, and I am more than happy to assist you.
From my understanding, you are experiencing issues trying to access your Dropbox account as you are not receiving the email with the one-time code."

Poppy further explained that a separate email from login-support@dropbox.com included a "reset password link" that I should try.

Indeed, I did use that link, reset my password and got in!
Zero explanation as to why I could not get an automatic email sent to me, ...zero warning, zero info on what I've done wrong to deserve this TRUCK-LOAD of work and time just to get into my files.

SHEESH! I wish any of you better luck!

Need more support?