cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I accidentally deactivated my account after cancelling a Business trial - can I recover it?

I accidentally deactivated my account after cancelling a Business trial - can I recover it?

Tomytis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

My account was deleted by mistake. it contained very valuable family photos that only existed on my account. It was my mistake. I was told my account cannot be restored due to security reasons. I had this account for years and had occasionally subscription plans that I can prove this is my account. Any idea this can help?  

This happened when I tried to cancel business trial and accidentally deleted my account.  

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @Tomytis, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear that.

Can we send you an email, so we can take a closer look into this internally?

Let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tanja3
New member | Level 2

I upgraded my Dropbox Plus to a Dropbox Business a few days ago. I then realised it wasn't for me and cancelled the free trial, hoping to return to my previous personal subscription. However, it appears that my entire account and files have been deactivated and I am no longer able to log in to my account. 

Will I be able to recover the files?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Tanja3, sorry to hear about this.

Can we reach out to you via email, to investigate this further?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tomytis
Explorer | Level 3
Ho Hannah,

Sadly dropbox team told me they cant restore my account as it was deleted. There was my childs photos I had for over 13 years. I will try to contact dropbox higher ranked managers via linked in. I know it its a long shot but i believe there is way to at least recover my files, given I contacted support same day. There should also be some kind of fuse mechanics for this of events. I saw so many complaint about it.

Tomas

Mark
Super User II

Unfortunately the data is deleted immediately - as you are told when its deleted and you have to confirm via entering password etc. again.

They have to then follow that and do what it says and has been requested otherwise there could be legal implications for them. They cannot keep and store data that a user has explicitly told them to remove and delete. 

In terms of the images do you have any still sync'd to your device? They should still be there

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tomytis
Explorer | Level 3

It's mind boggling how dropbox is incapable of implementing some sort of fuse mechanism. Give it 24 hours or so to revert. I've red so many stories about it, people complaint yet nothing is done/ Think about anything related to work and hours, days of work invested only to be locked in the No Mans Land forever. How about photos of a new born, in my case, they are gone forever.  I refuse to accept such an indolence and insensibility on dropbox side. 

No, I never sync my files and I don't want to sync, otherwise I would not buy services from dropbox. That's how I run my business. 

I was also asked to provide as much info about my deleted account as I can, as if I had  chance to recover my files. But no, it was just a template questions. Laughable and careless way to communicate.

It's sadness filled with anger of dropbox incompetence. Do I take responsibility on my side. Yes, I do, for giving so much trust in dropbox hands.

Tomytis
Explorer | Level 3
That is not true. I have tried third time to contact Dropbox customer service. This time via X.com.
To my surprise it worked this time. I was redirected to advance team and a person helped me out in half an hour. Not only I regained access to my account, I also got all files available.
In my personal experience, they didn't delete files.

liengu12345
New member | Level 2

Hi Tomytis,

O am glad it worked out for you. I am in the same dire situation like yours. Could you hsare which account on X.com should I contact? Thank you very much.

Tomytis
Explorer | Level 3

It's "Dropbox Support". Good look solving it! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    liengu12345 New member | Level 2
    Tomytis Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?