cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: change dropbox account email address

How can I change my Dropbox account email address while in a team?

shaunsgraham1
Explorer | Level 3

My two email address accounts somehow got linked when I accepted as shared folder on a project for work, and now my account has linked the two accounts and has the wrong email address. I would like to change this back but the website say that only the admin can do this. It doesn't seem to have either email account showing as the admin account somehow. The only 'admin' account that shows is that of the external folder that was shared with me.

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid this isn't something we can do on our end @shaunsgraham1.

Your admin is the one that needs to remove you from the team, and convert your account back to how it was. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shaunsgraham1
Explorer | Level 3

I don't understand, my plan details and billing details still look to be linked to my account. Is this foreign account now able to view this details? This is a serious security issue if so. 
If the billing information is still linked to my account, then why cannot dropbox staff amend this when requested directly from me?

shaunsgraham1
Explorer | Level 3

Could you please send me the exact steps that the admin would need to follow in order to convert back my account such that my files do not get deleted, so that I can send them on the instructions.

Rich
Super User II

@shaunsgraham1 wrote:

I don't understand, my plan details and billing details still look to be linked to my account. Is this foreign account now able to view this details?

What plan does it show on your Plan page? If it shows a Business plan, then you've joined a Business team account. If that's the case the team admin can't see your billing information, but if they wanted to, they would have the ability to sign into your account as you to access files, since they now own your account.

If the billing information is still linked to my account, then why cannot dropbox staff amend this when requested directly from me?

Because you no longer own your account, the other company does, and Dropbox cannot take action on your behalf for an account that you don't own. Only the team admin can fix this for you.

Could you please send me the exact steps that the admin would need to follow in order to convert back my account such that my files do not get deleted ...

You need to ask the team admin to convert your account back to an individual account. If they just remove you from the team it would delete your account. If that were to happen, the team admin only has seven days to restore your account.

After your account has been converted you'll be on the Basic (i.e. free) plan. You'll be able to resubscribe at that point. If you had a subscription active prior to this, you would have received a prorated refund for the time left on your account.

Need more support?