cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox caches my system password, how do I clear it?

Dropbox caches my system password, how do I clear it?

mdubois
New member | Level 2

I installed dropbox a while ago and foolishly gave it the system password when it asked.

Now I would like to clear it out, but I don't know how.

I have uninstalled dropbox, and removed every folder and item with "dropbox" in the name under my user account's Library folder (except for the actual Dropbox files).

I removed dropbox from Accessibility permissions and from being a login account.

I rebooted and verified dropbox was not re-added.

I looked in the keychain for items containing dropbox and found none.

When I install dropbox again, it does not prompt me for my user account password OR my dropbox account password. Yet somehow it adds itself to the Accessibility permissions anyway and is logged into my account. That indicates to me that it is caching both of my passwords somewhere. I am fine with caching my dropbox password, but I absolutely am not fine with it caching my MacOS account password.

Where is the cache and how do I remove it?

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @mdubois - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Your account's password isn't stored in the Dropbox cache normally, but you can have a look here for more information.

As for the app remembering your credentials, have you ensured that you're logged out from any Dropbox account through the app's preferences?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mdubois
New member | Level 2

I have found the thing that was acting with admin rights without my permission in the system Library dropbox helper tools and that got rid of the issue with dropbox adding itself improperly to Accessibility settings without pemission on reinstall.

However, I am still missing something somewhere. Where does dropbox store the token or login info for the account on the device? Deleting the app and all the preferences didn't do that and it doesn't seem to be in the keychain.

I'm looking for everything I need to delete to have Dropbox be like a clean install when I remove and reinstall it.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, you can follow the steps outlined here.

Let us know of any updates @mdubois 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    mdubois New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?