cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

Kloc45
Explorer | Level 4
I think I finally figured it out. I went into Excel Settings and scrolled to the bottom and clicked on Reset Office. I then re-linked to Dropbox and it then let me save my Excel sheet directly to Dropbox.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Well I was hopeful but this did not work for me. To be honest, uninstalling and reinstalling both Word and Excel should have accomplished the same thing. And that didn't work both times I tried it. But just to be sure I RESET from SETTINGS within both Word and separately from within Excel. When I reopened these apps it appeared that it was starting fresh, but when I open a file from Dropbox and make any change then try to save it either with the original name or with a new name I get the same annoying message that it was a read-only file. And of course as usual, attempting to save a copy made no difference. As far as I can tell we are still stuck or we were.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

One issue I'm still not clear about regarding this problem is the relationship between installing individual MS apps like Word or Excel or PowerPoint separately from the store as opposed to installing the entire Microsoft Suite. The latter seems to appear as a separate item in the app store.  Sometimes I get the impression they connect to each other when all of them are installed through this item and perhaps that is causing problems here? I have tried deleting all MS apps AND the integrated app and reinstalling just separate apps. But that doesn't seem to help either.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I get an automated message asking me to sign into my customer support portal from Megan or the ticket will be closed. But there is no way to do this with the link provided, so far as I can see. I want the ticket to remain open. Please provide specific instructions, or provide a link which actually allows me to sign in.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dluptonmd , if you want to access your ticket and reply back to it, you can also do it directly from your email account; there's no need to sign in to the customer support portal.

Just open your emails, locate the ticket by Megan and reply from there. 🙂

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
I did. Twice. Once to confirm it was my email, and once to inform her I hadn't heard back. No response from her.

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
As of this writing, I am not having any issues anymore. It's been like this for the past 3 days. Kindly check it on your end. I believe they fixed it already.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
No. Problem persists for me still as of a minute ago. Any doc created on word app and saved to Dropbox app is read only and never gets to Dropbox Thx, though. Are you working with Android apps or on your computer?

marloweloy
Helpful | Level 6
I'm using Samsung S23 Ultra.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
And are you creating the new doc on the phone word app, not computer word, and saving it to Dropbox? I'm using an s20 ultra note to do all the work, start to finish. I only have the problem with new docs. I can open an old Dropbox doc from app and edit it in word app and save back to Dropbox without any problem. Thx.
Need more support?