cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error when trying to access my files; the Dropbox app always needs to be updated

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Screen shot of message in Excel that the file opened from Dropbox is READ ONLY.   Note, this file shows up in the Excel list of recent files and even says it was saved to Dropbox....BUT it wasn't.  Screenshot_20230511_210722_Excel.jpgScreenshot_20230511_210601_Excel.jpg

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Here's a screenshot from my Samsung Zfold3

Screenshot_20230511_210722_Excel.jpgScreenshot_20230511_210601_Excel.jpg

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

I am a different user than the one to whom you addressed the question...but YES I have uninstalled and reinstalled Word, Excel, and Dropbox apps on my Android Samsung Zfold3.  No luck.   This only started happening in the past month or two!  VERY frustrating!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Jumping in here...I tried to create an Excel file THROUGH the Dropbox app using the "+" sign.  I could do so and THAT file does show up in the Dropbox AND Excel "Recent files"  But when I try then to SAVE it (vs. SAVE AS), Excel says there is already a file of that name, do I want to overwrite.  This is probably because I have "Autosave" on.  If I say no and choose a different name (Eg. Filename 2), THAT file does not get saved to Dropbox even tho it too shows up on the Excel Recent file list.  I can open that second file from the Recent File list and continue editing it but it is NOT saved to Dropbox. 

So it seems that creating from the Dropbox app, into the MS app saves it back to Dropbox.  But once the filename is CHANGED in the MS app, it cannot be saved back to Dropbox.  Even the good original file that CAN still be retrieved from Dropbox (created from Dropbox) cannot be saved back to Dropbox with a different name. 

So something about whenever the MS app on Android  changes the name of a file (or creates a new file) then tries passing that file & filename back to Dropbox gives the MS app a fit and makes it call the file READ ONLY...AND it CANNOT save that file to Dropbox.....but CAN save it to ONEDRIVE etc.

Something in the interface of passing back file names is broken in the MS app OR the Dropbox app to which it hands off.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Several of us have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the MS apps and Dropbox app.

No luck!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_20230511_210722_Excel.jpg

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

Exactly.....it's the Word - Dropbox interface.  And to be more precise, the MS Apps - Dropbox interface.  Same problem with Excel files.

I posted a longer note above in which you CAN create files THROUGH the Dropbox app using the "+" and choosing the MS app. THOSE files can be saved back to Dropbox and reopened.  But if you try to change the name of the file (Save As) or create a new file in the MS app, THOSE files cannot be saved back through the Dropbox app to Dropbox.  They show up on the MS app "Recent Files" list and ironically can be opened there (save God only know where but probably on the Android device) and further edited.  They just can't be saved to Dropbox.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

We are all having this problem.....and Dropbox has "concluded" it's a problem for MSoft!  Sheesh!

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9

I agree!  Dropbox and MS need to work this out....don't leave so many loyal users in the gap!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DrVJMJ, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

May we reach out via email to have a further look internally?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?