cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload entire folders to Dropbox

Upload entire folders to Dropbox

Philip T.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm trying to upload a folder and all of its subfolders to Dropbox (actually I have a bunch to move, but I'm just trying to do one for now). The folder has multiple subfolders and each subfolder of course has files in it. Recreating every single folder and subfolder for everything on my computer that I need to upload is not an option since it would be an extremely tedious and time consuming project.

My intention is to upload all of the desired folders to Dropbox, then delete them from my computer and sync all of them so that I can access them from most anywhere.

How do I handle this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ahmed924944
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It seems that this is not the fault of Dropbox.  The fault seems to be with Firefox and other browsers (with the exception of Chrome).  Also, same thing happens in Google Drive, can only drag and drop / upload folders there successfully with Chrome.  According to the following website, http://superuser.com/questions/909112/does-firefox-support-folder-upload , Firefox is aware of this bug, and has been testing fixes with nightly beta trials.  Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Philip T.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Figured it out

danielle s.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

can you share how you did it? I have the same question.

M E.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've spent days trying to figure this out. No information anywhere that I can find. I ended up deleting dropbox. It should not be this complicated. Even their help information doesn't tell you how to do it. I have installed the desktop app again. Nothing changes. It still won't work. Anybody know what to do? This has not been a very active thread. I find that very discouraging.

Tom_H
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Place the folders, in the Dropbox folder on your computer, they will be uploaded just like individual files. 

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/sync-time

B R.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Philip T. could you share your findings to upload folder with subfolders?

Adeem D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dragging and dropping folders from your desktop/laptop to drop box on the web moves the folders and their sub folders to dropbox. There is a maximum upload limit of 3000 files.

Michael S.201
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Due to a miserably slow upload link I cannot use dropbox synch feature so I have to manually upload files I want and cannot find a way to do that.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You can upload multiple files at once by selecting them and dragging them into the Dropbox window in your browser. You cannot, however, do that by dragging a folder.

Bobby W.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Seriously i can't freaking believe have hard this is... i bought Dropbox because i thought is was going to be easier but you cannot, upload a folder with multiple subfolders. I literally spent 8 F******* hours organizing in my external so that i can simply "DROP" my F****** file in here.  I'm so disappointed. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Razvan Boxifier Collaborator | Level 10
    Annie B.5 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    ahmed924944 Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?