cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open PDF in browser

Open PDF in browser

lportzline
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When I share a link to a PDF, how can I get the PDF to open directly in someone's browser without requiring them to download the file to their hard drive? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lportzline wrote:

As you suggested, I've tried the dl=1 and raw=1 parameters with people both inside and outside of my organization, and they're still being taken to a page that wants to make them download the file rather than opening it directly.

Using ?dl=1 will force the file to download so you don't want that one. The default, or ?dl=0, will preview the file on the Dropbox website. So it will stay in the browser, but it will have the Dropbox interface around the PDF. Using ?raw=1 just sends the raw file to the browser and the browser determines how to handle it.

That link opens the PDF file directly in a browser if the browser knows how to handle a PDF file and it's set to open them directly, instead of handing them off to another application or just downloading it. Those settings are in the browser and not part of Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lportzline wrote:

When I share a link to a PDF, how can I get the PDF to open directly in someone's browser without requiring them to download the file to their hard drive?

That's mostly dependent on how they have their browser configured. You can provide a link that either previews on the Dropbox website, forces a download or just sends the raw file to their browser. Assuming you also want to avoid sending them to the Dropbox website to view it, sending the raw file is likely want you'd want in this case, but it will still depend on how they have their browser configured to handle PDF files.

lportzline
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks. As you suggested, I've tried the dl=1 and raw=1 parameters with people both inside and outside of my organization, and they're still being taken to a page that wants to make them download the file rather than opening it directly. Weird.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lportzline wrote:

As you suggested, I've tried the dl=1 and raw=1 parameters with people both inside and outside of my organization, and they're still being taken to a page that wants to make them download the file rather than opening it directly.

Using ?dl=1 will force the file to download so you don't want that one. The default, or ?dl=0, will preview the file on the Dropbox website. So it will stay in the browser, but it will have the Dropbox interface around the PDF. Using ?raw=1 just sends the raw file to the browser and the browser determines how to handle it.

That link opens the PDF file directly in a browser if the browser knows how to handle a PDF file and it's set to open them directly, instead of handing them off to another application or just downloading it. Those settings are in the browser and not part of Dropbox.

lportzline
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks very much for the input & advice!

Catrik
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

>Using ?raw=1 just sends the raw file to the browser and the browser determines how to handle it.

Is there an option to make all files in dropbox behave like this? We have a user hosting multiple pdf's, and they do not work correctly on the dropbox pdf viewer. There are too many files to edit the link by hand every time, and too many users to instruct everyone to download it first or mess with settings on their end.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Catrik, thanks for joining the discussion here.

I'm afraid there's no such option at this moment within Dropbox. 

If you could elaborate on what's not working for you exactly, we might be able to help further though. 

Keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Catrik
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

1) Sometimes links dont work

For unknown reason, links in some pages stop working. They might work some times and sometimes not. On page 100 they might not work, but on page 101 they do work. The issue is not in the pdf file because they always work if you download it first.

2) Sometimes copying text doesnt work

When the link doesnt work, you try to copy and paste it to the URL bar. But sometimes that does not work either, Dropbox refuses to understand there is any text on the page. Like above, this happens randomly to random pages, but to multiple people on different PC's.

3) Browser zoom doesnt work correctly

Ctrl+scroll wheel only chances the zoom of the UI, not the pdf document itself. You have to use the zoom buttons on the Dropbox UI, which is just stupid and unneccessary inconvinience.

4) Cant directly go to x page

As far as I can tell, it's not possible to just enter a page number and directly go there. Pretty standard feature IMO, I dont understand why it doesnt exist here.

The files have nothing unordinary in them, for example 136 pages, 2,6MB, content is the usual text, pictures and links.

It would be much easier to just have an option to directly use already existing and working PDF viewers that have the features people are used to having, so I dont understand why Dropbox insists on forcing its own viewer for everyone. The only non-bandaid solution I have found is switching to another file hosting service.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional details and I appreciate the feedback about previewing files that are shared through shared links via our website too @Catrik - most appreciated!

I'm not sure if this would help, but if you have the files stored in your Dropbox account, you should be able to open them via a 3rd party app/integration that might be better for your needs too. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Catrik Explorer | Level 4
    lportzline Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?